Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Shortest 1000 vertical meters in The Peaks
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

My shortest 1000 vertical meters just at the side of The Peaks consist of 30 miles ride.

Starting in “Sunny” Rotherham, over Cote de Oughtibridge and High Bradfield to The Strines, then back to Chapeltown and to Rotherham via Thorpe Hesley.

Any shorter ride around The Peaks to bag 1000m without repeating of the same hill?

Cheers!
    I.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Easy peasy, even on roads. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29608216

Ronde Van Chinley route linked above. I live in Chapel and did 750 meters in 30km last night with a chunk of flat in there too.

Also managed 1500m in 47km/30 miles a couple of weeks ago on the road with no repeats of the same hill.

Garry_Lager

Was going to say the Bollington area just north of the Cat is pretty dense for hills, a few in jimbob’s link there – v well ridden roads, strava leaderboards many 1000s deep. You could put some pretty tight loops together that would give you a lot of feet climbed per mile.

whitestone
    Free Member

I would imagine it’s not hard to do if you know the area. I’ve a 30km loop round home with 1100 metres of ascent and they aren’t even big hills.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

park at langset go clockwise over cutgate, then ladybower loop from fairholmes and return
    58km 1400m+

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Tend to reckon 1000m/30 miles as being reasonably average for Peak roadying.

Strines/Bradfield/Ewden area is good for lots of vert for very little horizontal.

Macc Forest and surroundings is also reet lumpy.

carlos
    Free Member

Can manage 1000m in about 24km (less than 15 miles) from home and round Macc Forest and then I’ve got to get home. Makes it easier if you know the cheeky bits I guess. The only bit you ride the same ground twice is a flat road section of about 400m and then its the opposite way from Standing Stone car-park to Forest Chapel.

Makes for a nice evening loop before the pub

mikewsmith
    Free Member

45km/1096m https://www.strava.com/activities/1538978919 Involves cunning use of the train though
    37km/880m https://www.strava.com/activities/1875733997 Similar loop gravel bike required easy to find another 120m there though

You could probably get it with a good fig 8 route around Hathersage/Stanage/Burbage

Spin
    Free Member

Which peaks are you talking about?

dpfr

My normal little road spin from home, southwards from Whaley Bridge, is 35 km x 950 m

Could easily be extended to 42 km x 1150 m but then I’d probably be sick

Or there’s a 49 km x 1310 m option too…..

crazy-legs

I did the Rapha Rising Challenge a couple of years ago on those roads – the challenge was to do 4600m of climbing so I did it in one ride of 128 miles.

Used a lot of those hills around Bollington, Goyt Valley, Chapel, Disley etc. Relatively easy to find a lot of elevation in a compact area. I could get 1000m climbing out of a 20-25km ride.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Cheers Chaps!

Some good suggestions. Slightly further from home, but still close enough.

Cheers!
    I.

willyboy
    Free Member

Start in Hope ride up through edale and ride mam nick and, come back to Hope via Castleton then ride to Hathersage and go up ‘the dale’. Loop back down to Hathersage past higger tor, then across to Grindleford for Sir William Hill down through Eyam then ride to Curbar gap. Shouldn’t be far off 1000m.

Edit; after Sir William Hill you could ride to Calver then turn left and go up the Grindleford climb towards Sheffield,
    then loop back down Froggatt, then ride Curbar.

benman
    Free Member

The Matlock Top Ten is a nice hilly route. 1700m in just over 38 miles:

Matlock top ten

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Shortest 1000 vertical meters in The Peaks’ is closed to new replies.