Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Shorter cranks, what are my options?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m going to dig out the mtb and it’s needs a refresh. I’m considering and angle set to bring the 69 degree ha down a bit, and would like to run my garmin rally pedals

The issue is the bb is currently a fairly low 330 mm. Once I factor in the drop from the angle set (3mm) plus the extra stack on the pedals (5mm) I’ll be left with a horrifically low 322 bb

Bike is a yeti ASRc, so 100mm of rear travel. Current cranks are 175 so I gain that all back with a 165 crank. Ideally I’d like to find a 165 non boost gxp crank for a direct swap over and save the fairly new praxis bb. Otherwise who else makes a reasonably affordable 165m non boost crank?

Ta

binman

Thought the SRAM cranks were boosted / unboosted via the chainring 3mm or 6mm offset ?

bikesandboots

I once read about some rigid bike that needed an external lower headset cup to run a suspension fork. This added some height to the frontend. No idea if such and angleset exists.

bikerevivesheffield

Only dub ones iirc

scotroutes

I had to fit a non-Boost XT crank to my Boost-rear Occam as I wanted 165mm and the shortest Boost versions were 170mm. It works just fine so I imagine it might work fine the opposite way too.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Where did you get a 165 non boost xt crank? Do you know the series number as I can only find them in 170

nedrapier

Just bought a 165 non boost slx from highonbikes. 52mm chain line, 172mm Q Factor. £105.

5 quid cheaper than most places. If you can fill a £175 basket at Bike discount, it’s cheaper there.

TheGingerOne

M8000 could be had in 165, but doubt you would find one now unfortunately

scotroutes

Aye – M8000. It’s absolutely crazy that there is such limited choice of crank length.

Another option would be to find longer cranks and have them drilled and tapped. We used to run a tandem with three taps in each crank arm so that it could accommodate a range of kids sizes on the rear.

tomhoward

Any crank that takes a 3 bolt direct mount (SRAM) chainring can be non boost, boost or super boost, as the offset is all in the chainring. Not just the DUB ones.

Hope do them too, all depends on what your budget is really.

LAT

isn’t the 52 mm chainline of non boost xt cranks the same as a boost chainline? for some reason boost shimano cranks have 55mm chainline.

raceface have recently updated the turbine. i believe that this has a 30mm spindle.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Id not want to spent more than 200 quid ideally, but as I can’t fit a shimano crank to my gxp bb then I’ll need to factor in 65 quid of that on a new bb

Given I barely use the bike I want to keep costs down, but it’ll be a false economy if I crack my £500 pedal in 2 on a rock the first time I go out

I should add that I’ll be riding fairly tame trails, xc trail centre stuff rather than smashing through rock gardens. What’s the lowest acceptable bb height for an xc bike? Could I get away with 170s, which would mean I’m effectively only losing 3mm in pedal clearance?

binman

Only dub ones iirc

Same for GXP and 30mm

Jamz
    Free Member

A 51/52mm chainline is boost (e.g. FC-M8100)

Shimano 55mm is also boost but with extra clearance (e.g. FC-M8120)

56.5mm is superboost (e.g. FC-M8130)

You need something with a sub 50mm chainline for a 135/142mm rear end.

honourablegeorge

bikerevivesheffield

Only dub ones iirc

Nope, GXP cranks also

5lab

I think I have some 165mm zee cranks in a cupboard if of interest

a11y

Hope EVO? Chainrings are what gives them boost/non-boost, available in various lengths and axle configurations – I don’t know about GOX though. Might be a tad over £200 but could be adapted for future bikes via different axle etc.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d try the angleset (go -2 deg) and leave the cranks for now. I’m a big fan of short cranks but with only 100mm of travel I don’t see that BB being too low for 175s.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for some 165s too to replace my 175 XTRs which just smash off everything. My frame is a prototype so I’m unsure whether the BB is a touch lower than the production versions of the same frame…

So far been looking at:
    – Middleburns (pushing £300 and their Uno rings aren’t Shimano 12 speed compatible but I could keep my existing BB)
    – Hope (over £350)
    – Unite (again, over £300 once you’ve factored in a new 30mm BB as well)

Really fancy something a bit posh and UK made but at those prices, I might just hunt down a set of 165mm XTs for a fraction of the price…

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’ve found a set of 170 truvative descendent on eBay which will work with my current bb so may give that a shot. I’ll only be 3mm lower overall then, which I assume will be bugger all in the grand schemes of things on a 100mm bike

They look a bit on the heavy side but should suffice

ginkster

I have some DMR Axe cranks in 165mm. Use SRAM direct mount rings and available in boost or non-boost. Unfortunately they have a specific Praxis BB so you wouldn’t be able to use your current BB.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Something else worth considering when I asked a similar question a few months back and something I didn’t realise is that some companies actually use the same length arms but just move the pedal holes. Not sure who it is that does that or even whether it was a load of rubbish…

bikesandboots

I once read about some rigid bike that needed an external lower headset cup to run a suspension fork. This added some height to the frontend. No idea if such and angleset exists.

Looking into this a big more:

“Since Slack-R effectively adds external upper and lower bearing cups, it raises the front end of your bike by the external height of the lower cup (about 10mm), and the upper cup adds about another 10mm to the stack measurement. Luckily, as you slacken the head tube angle, the front end of your bike drops as the fork kicks forward, and this effect balances out to a large degree the extra height due to the lower cup, which you can also see by the small change in bottom bracket height.”

https://9point8.ca/blogs/9point8-technology/a-deeper-look-into-the-9point8%E2%84%A2-slack-r%E2%84%A2

sillysilly
    Free Member

RaceFace Atlas?

trusty

RF Atlas and Turbine can be had in shorter lengths and the offset for boost is in the chain ring not the crank. Avoid the Aeffect cranks as they use the same length crank arm for all lengths but just drill the hole in a different place for 165-175.

ads678

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-nx-eagle-dub-chainset?

165mm SRAM NX on wiggle. £99.99. 49mm chainline.

TheGhost
    Free Member

What travel fork are you running? You could try adding 20-40mm of travel. I think 10mm more travel roughly equals 0.5 degrees off you head angle.

mashr

There was a shop selling 165mm M8100 XTs (52mm chainline) on eBay recently for £85, really should have got a set. Think they are now around £100.

As Jamz says, 52mm is Boost, 55mm is like MORE boost. Shimano have somehow made it more complicated than it had to be

tomhoward

55mm is like MORE boost.

Super Boost. Pivot and Knolly use it, among others.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Those nx Eagle look promising. I’m awaiting to hear back on a pair secondhand but if they don’t work out I’ll go with the ones in wiggle

Assuming I can get a dub bb for my old school frame

TheGhost
    Free Member

Shimano 12 speed single ring chainlines

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-xt-m8100.html

FC-M8100-1 = 52 mm
    FC-M8120-1 = 55 mm
    FC-M8130-1 = 56.5 mm

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I still have an unused XTR 12 speed 165mm crankset that I bought from the chap that bought it from the PSA many months ago.

If anyone wants it for £160 without ring, or £200 with then shout.

stevextc
    Free Member

Where did you get a 165 non boost xt crank?

All mine are used off eBay… indeed all 2x 785’s being run 1x.
    If you don’t mind the weight the Zee is more common in 165mm… 640 is the non boost (from memory).

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.