Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shortening eye to eye of shock but maintaining travel.
  • akira

Anyone had this done and any comments on it?
    Want to slacken off a bike and relax the head angle a bit.

z1ppy

Are you aware of this? (Betd make them too apparently)

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Not done it but I guess you need to make sure the swingarm can move far enough without anything mashing anything else. any linkages would be working slightly differently as well I guess, ramping up a little earlier for instance.
    All guesswork but makes sense in my head…

LoCo
    Free Member

Do able but depends on shock and the bike rear suspension design, offers more potential adjustment than offset bushes too.

akira

Well did look at the offset bushes but it doesn’t alter things a lot.
    LoCo have you got any experience doing this?
    Think I would be fine with the frame running a shorter shock.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes have done a few both here and when working for Mojo but really does depend on the shock and whether parts are available to the trade as to the extent it can be adjusted.

akira

Fox Float R XV Air 8.5 x 2.5, 2009 model.
    Hmmmmmmm this could work out cheaper than an Angleset hopefully.

pastcaring
    Free Member

i asked mojo they said it was possible but not cheap! (air shock no on a coil) tf tuned said no, push usa said maybe but they wouldn’t do it…

loco

would it be possible to do it on a coil shock? (ccdb) 6mm off stroke and i to i ?
    would it be able to be re shimmed?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I presume you’d need to replace that shock shaft with one of a different length to get the eye to eye length right?

pastcaring
    Free Member

i thought it would be as simple as putting a spacer in the shock (same as some forks)and then re shimming.
    but was told “it’s not that simple” 😐

i’ll be the first to admit i know nothing about shock internal.

LoCo
    Free Member

Right, to address all questions, CCDB, to shorten yes possibly but I don’t work on CC stuff, give TF a call and they should be able to help.

Fox air shocks it would have to go to Mojo most of the time as they don’t supply internal shock parts to anybody else.

Generally you would shorten the stroke with either a spacer if you wanted to maintain the eye to eye or by shortening the shaft if you wanted to reduce the stroke, this involves replacement of the shaft and meter/control rod or machining it down.

Hope that covers everything, I’m now leaving the workshop for home 😀

pastcaring
    Free Member

thanks loco

slowrider
    Free Member

Offset bushings might work depending on how much you want to change things, especially if its within the realms of a angleset ie 1.5 degrees.

I’ve shortened the i2i by 5mm which doesn’t sound much but is definitely noticeable, recommended sag on my bike is 19mm so it’s like being sat at 24mm but without the mushiness and bottoming out that would create. Depending on your frame you might be able to reduce it by a bit more too.

oxnop
    Free Member

What about keeping your exising shock and getting this to alternate between the two?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/custom-sized-2011-rp23-bv-for-alpine-160-216-x-53-slackens-halowers-bb-etc

LoCo
    Free Member

Hi I could do the 4mm shorter like on Oxnops shock as it’s only minimal machining, and doesn’t need any extra parts, just the cost of extra time it takes to do it 😉

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I was going to suggest Oxnops shock, sell yours and buy that.

Nice one for dropping that nylon washer at PS for me Loco, was just the job, not sure if you’ve been there yet but I left the contents of my pocket for you behind the counter, don’t worry no snotty tissues…

LoCo
    Free Member

Haha no probs, biscuits for Paul and Bev when I drop in tomorrow then 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shortening eye to eye of shock but maintaining travel.’ is closed to new replies.