Shortening an oven extractor hood (Aberdeen)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shortening an oven extractor hood (Aberdeen)
  • Premier Icon Mat
    Subscriber

I recently got a new oven and extractor hood, the length or the extractor hood chimney panels means they won’t fit between the hood and the ceiling. It’s a 2-piece telescopic design (seems to be the norm) so both bits need cutting down to length to fit in the gap

I was thinking about making the cut with a grinder but I’m concerned I’ll make a hash of it, it’s painted black rather than being stainless steel so any messiness will show up. The obvious suggestion is to try and hide the cut ends. I can do this with the upper piece but I can’t cut the bottom of the lower piece without messing up the smeg logo so I need to cut the top – this will be visible (Truly the zenith of first world problems!).
    I was wondering if a fab shop would be able to do something more neatly, perhaps laser cutting? Does anyone have any suggestions on what sort of places to try (or even better recommendations in Aberdeen).

My joiner did mine with an oscillating cutter, on top of a sacrificial piece of timber, much more control and less chance of it skiting than an angle grinder.

And it’s an excuse to buy one, they’re handy bastards if you do a bit of DIY.

Premier Icon Mat
    Subscriber

ooh – my Dad was just the other day offering me a loan of his new multitool, I’d not thought of using one for this, good idea!

100inch

I’d do it with a 1mm disc in a grinder, to a line on masking tape. But then I do a lot of cutting stuff up with a grinder.

So the gap between the top of the hood and the ceiling is shorter than either bit of “chimney”? How low are your ceilings?

Off the top of my head, I’d make a wood frame to sit inside the bit you need to cut that will hold the sides firm and you can use as a guide, then cut with a big hacksaw. Sand/file to get a smooth edge than touch up with whatever colour paint is needed.

That’s assuming you have no access to multi-tool/grinder type things.

So the gap between the top of the hood and the ceiling is shorter than either bit of “chimney”? How low are your ceilings?

I have a boxed in section above that area, no idea why, I can see right into it from the loft hatch, there’s no reason for it, damage, who knows, but it looks good so I ain’t ripping it out. 🙂

Premier Icon Mat
    Subscriber

100″ – yeah, I just don’t trust myself with the grinder to get it neat!

TFO – not that low, but we didn’t want the extractor too low for banging our heads! I’ve got a grinder and could borrow a multitool, just unsure how neat a job I’d do!

If you’ve a fair bit to remove, do a couple of practice cuts.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.