• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Shortening a reverb hose
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I need to shorten my reverb hose. I’ve watched the SRAM video online and from what I’ve seen, it’s not going to be an arse-ache with fluid all over the place or is that just the video being optimistic and it will piss fluid all over my kitchen floor?

The process seems to be:

Unscrew threaded barb
    Cut
    Rescrew
    Cuppa

That all there is to it?

richmtb

If you follow the video its pretty straightforward. Just remember the bit about winding in or out (I can’t remember which it is) the speed adjuster before you make the cut.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Yeah its simple enough. Barb isnt threaded just ribbed (not sure if that’s what you call it) so its just a case of pushing the hose over it. Its just Make sure you get the hose properly seated on the barb when you reterminate or it can let air in and lock the system. You may need to bleed the system if any air gets in. Should only be the odd drop of fluid coming out when you cut/reterminate.

legend
    Free Member

Actually, the barb on Mrs L’s reverb is threaded. I never checked mine before shoving it in

sandwicheater

It is simple but you’ll need to bleed it as air will get into hose.

Was suprised what little mess there was.

tanz
    Free Member

I’ve done it 3 times now and never had to bleed, really simple to do.

muzzle
    Free Member

Unscrew threaded barb
    Cut
    Rescrew
    Cuppa

Yep, that’s all I had to do. I shortened mine recently – even bought a bleed kit in advance expecting to make a mess of it and have to re-bleed… but it was dead easy and works perfectly..

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I cut mine with a craft knife – no mess, and no need to bleed. As it was evening I had a beer after.

atlaz
    Free Member

Living room it is then.

iainc

thread resurrection 🙂

new (warranty replacement one) on it’s way to me so will need to shroten tomorrow. Does anyone know if the new ones are threaded barbs ?

Thanks

edit, updated the wrong darned post 😳
    hey ho !

vonplatz
    Free Member

I’m not sure i can remember this as i don’t think it was in the vid but make sure you screw in the hose at the seat clamp BEFORE sorting your cable routing as if not you’ll have to do re route. Sounds stupid but that’s what i did.

simon_g

Was exactly that easy for me, no bleed required.

Don’t be a numpty and press the button in between taking the hose off and putting it back on though.

Mine was threaded, yes.

iainc

great, ta, sounds like it should be threaded so the lever end barb should unscrew rather than need cut out like on the vids. I carefully measured lenth of old hose and took pics of the routing, so fingers crossed 🙂

FOG

Just done one which required little effort and no bleeding which isn’t that much of a chore anyway.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Shortening a reverb hose’ is closed to new replies.