Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Short travel full suspension frames …. Available as frame only?
  • letmetalktomark

What would you consider if looking for the above.

Thinking XC based max 100mm travel.

Would need to be available as frame only.

brant
    Free Member
    ahwiles
    Free Member

those titus frames are fairly awesome.

njee20
    Free Member

Budget? Many are available, but often crazy expensive. Trek Top Fuel is over £3000…

wwaswas

sometimes cheaper to buy a complete bike and sell the bits on than buy frame only from the major brands.

br
    Free Member

Anthem X, although when I last looked it was as cheap to buy the base one and sell off the bits.

njee20
    Free Member

Definitely worth looking at whole bikes and selling bits! You can get a carbon Spark for a reasonable amount, just flog the bits.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

For racing or for fun? If the second then the Santa Cruz Superlight is pretty cheap compared to many.

# Cue STW hoard criticising weight / design yahda, yahda, waffle.. #

rickon
    Free Member

Carbon Spark is lovely, and cheap as a full bike – but run with 120mm forks… unless you like pedal strike.

druidh
    Free Member

Blur XC?

convert

Def need to know more – I bought a turner Flux when on a similar shopping mission; partly for the price at the time but mainly because I was after something a bit racey for the odd event but more for everyday stuff and the flux can be built up a little burly when needed. Mine now has 2 personas with two sets of wheels, forks and bars and feels like two different bikes dependig and who I’m riding with and what I’m up to.

If I was still a racing snake I’d struggle to look beyond the spark (although as said above, it might be better to buy as a complete bike)

PJM1974
    Free Member

I really, really like that Titus…

There’s always the option to buy a Spesh Camber and sell the bits on Ebay. The entry level bike is ludicrously cheap.

njee20
    Free Member

If I was still a racing snake I’d struggle to look beyond the spark

Need to ride it though – I just don’t really like the way they pedal, you need to use the TracLoc lots to get the most out of it IMO.

There’s always the option to buy a Spesh Camber and sell the bits on Ebay

Pretty basic frame as well though, not really on par with Spark/Blur XCc etc, depends what the OPs thinking of…

Trekster

Scott Spark
    Spesh Camber
    Cannondale Rize 120
    Merida 120XT 😆
    Trek Rumblefish or EX 9.8 😆
    Cube AMS 100
    Felt Edict
    Ghost Lector

As some above have said I would buy whole bike and either ride till bits wear out or swap bits I want to. Currently needing to renovate my bike which is getting on abit and it would be almost as cheap to by something new 🙄

Happy googling 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Scott Spark
    Spesh Camber
    Cannondale Rize 120
    Merida 120XT
    Trek Rumblefish or EX 9.8
    Cube AMS 100
    Felt Edict
    Ghost Lector

If we’re being picky, OP said

And with the exception of the Cube and the Felt (and possibly the Ghost?) they’re all 120mm+.

The Spark is fair enough, as it’s still more of a racey bike, but the others are more trail.

My list would probably be more like:
    Spark
    Epic
    Scalpel
    Top Fuel
    ASR-SLc
    Blur XC

LMT
    Free Member

120mm?? is that classed as short travel these days??

Ive still got a Giant XTC EX which runs at 80mm travel i thought that was short travel, my P7 runs at 125mm i thought that was mid travel?

PJM1974
    Free Member

120mm?? is that classed as short travel these days??

The lines are blurred. There are a lot of hardtails running 80mm forks, but for full suss bikes 120mm does look like the sweet spot at the moment.

IA

If you’re tall is (prolly 6’+) I’d do just the frame:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-xl-giant-trance-maxle-rebas

Not as nice as some of the above…but a lot cheaper.

ajr
    Free Member

]null[/url]
    102mm travel.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

That Ventana is out then, and the Flux. The Ventana is 102mm and the Flux is 105mm 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

And the Blur is 105mm

ianv
    Free Member

I had a spark and hated it. The rear end snapped, was always loosening up, the pedal strike was a pita and it rode s..t . Would not recommend one to anyone.

What about an sc superlight?

rickon
    Free Member

Njee+1, Spark needs an RP23 to make the best of it. Good compression damping, and heavy propedal really makes the bike excel.

Pedal strike is less of an issue with 120mm forks and voluminous tyres, with Propedal on it’s a non-issue.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

bike that needs propedal = sh1t design ???

rickon
    Free Member

Not really, it’s efficient through the travel descending. It was designed around (as most Scott’s are) the DT Swiss Nude shock, which has Tracloc – so fully locked, traction and open.

For me the Spark’s the best descending bike I’ve had, and incredibly good going up.

But, it’s all opinion, and how the geometry and bike works for you – I had an Anthem last year as my race bike, and although the Maestro is probably the best suspension design for climbing and reducing pedal bob, it just doesn’t compare descending to something simple and efficient.

drain

Santa Cruz Superlight – great all round for UK conditions: loads of mud clearance, low maintenance.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Anthem X complete bike for £900

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant_anthem_x5.html

Sell the bits and upgrade the rear shock to RP2.

chakaping
    Free Member

Funkydunc beat me to it.

You could use the bits to make a hack bike or build a cheap HT up for a mate.

ac282

I really didn’t get on with the spark I test rode. I ended up with an Anthem and it’s been great so far.

letmetalktomark

Thanks for all of the comments.

I should have really said under 120mm travel.

Plenty of good options for me to look at.

I understand the “buying a whole bike logic” on the basis of value but not convinced I would sell the bits!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

but not convinced I would sell the bits!

I think people would be ‘gagging’ for the Alivio kit on that Anthem…

njee20
    Free Member

The thing is you could buy a complete Spark for less than the frame only option, so even if you didn’t sell anything it’d still be cheaper!

Most mainstream manufacturers will only offer their top tier frames as frame only, and otherwise you’re into the more ’boutique’ (for want of a better word frames) which are equally expensive. So… it tends to be the best way to do it.

Or just find a complete bike you like the look of and just get that!

sputnik
    Free Member

Can’t believe no one has mentioned a :
    Kona Hei Hei
    Can buy frame(2010) only for £750 with a RP23 shock ( after a quick online search)
    And the latest model for £900. Makes me wish I was in the market for a new 100mm frame 🙁

br
    Free Member

Even if you didn’t sell the bits, they’ve not really cost you anything and you’ve always spare for when stuff breaks, even if just a temp. spare.

slackalice
    Free Member

Morewood Zula.

But shhhhh…. dont tell anyone else cos I would like one and dont want them to be too popular…

Matt_SS_xc

you could buy my commencal meta 4 for £200 – 100mm fun frame. climbs great and descends like it has a lot more travel.

oxym0r0n

I have a Yeti ASRsl frame that I am considering selling – size medium, carbon chainstays, one careful owner…

IMG_6586 by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Short travel full suspension frames …. Available as frame only?’ is closed to new replies.