Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Short term car insurance (one or two days)?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Need to get short term car insurance for a car I’m about to buy, but won’t be using for a while (so just need to get it home).

Under 25 so don’t have 3rd party on other cars from my current insurance.

Aviva want’s £50 per day, anything better than that?

It’s a Mazda MX5 if it matters.

Ta, Duane.

dmorts

I would suggest asking your current insurer for extra cover. I’ve done that before when having 2 cars, i.e. just bought new one and selling old one. Was a lot cheaper than £50 a day. But to back track a bit, are you aware of the law change?->

As part of Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) it is a legal offence to keep a vehicle without insurance unless you have notified DVLA that your vehicle is being kept off the road by means of a Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN).

So you need to SORN it when you get it home

Plus, I always thought that “3rd party on other cars” only applies if the car is insured and owned by someone else. E.g. you can be covered to drive a mate’s car

dannybgoode

A google search for ‘short term car insurance’ throws up a number of links such as the following:

http://insure4aday.co.uk/?gclid=COfu0prCxbcCFfLHtAodvAoAsQ

As dmorts correctly says, the third party extension for driving other vehicles that applies to some policies is only effective if that car is properly insured by the owner also.

Bear in mind not all policies have this extension and as a market rule it is only available to those with a fully comp policy.

The advice to ask your current insurer whether they can extend your existing policy to cover a second vehicle for a couple of days is also a good suggestion.

Cheers

Danny B

m0rk
    Free Member

My old classic policy for my MX5 cost £93/yr for a limited mileage policy

Might be worth looking into

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Short term car insurance (one or two days)?’ is closed to new replies.