Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • short stems whats the advantage and why are DH stems short?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Stiffness? strength?

Just got o 40mm one and its not nice to ride. I feel I’m going to go over the bars compared to my 70mm stem. Suspect it will make more sense when pointing downhill though

philjunior
    Free Member

It moves your hands back a bit so you’ve got more options where to put your body weight, especially down hill, pulling wheelies/manuals etc. I wouldn’t say that 70mm was exactly tiller like so if you prefer it whack it back on.

You might feel more over the front just because you’ve shortened the cockpit by just over and inch, which is quite a big change, so you’re maybe trying to keep your previous position by bending your arms and seeing more over the bars, or perhaps you’re more sit up and beg now so feeling unsteady at such high altitude!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

surely a shorter stem would make you feel less like you’re going to go over the bars? does for me anyway…

philjunior
    Free Member

Nah I can sort of understand what he means as I get a big of it with a shorter top tube.

You feel more on the bike and less in it.

Once you drop the saddle and point it DH it works though!

tombell1989
    Free Member

Quicker steering.

grumm
    Free Member

Hmm I found a short stem put my weight further back, how odd. Is the shortness partly a strength issue with DH stems as well?

ozzybmx
    Free Member

It gives you quicker handling of the bike , more responsive steering and more control . Put you hands far out in front of you and pretend you are steering a bike , then pull them in and do the same … just remember you have a 110mm stem to compensate for so you are doing a sweeping action at 110mm, at 50mm it is basically a direct turn.

It doesnt sound a lot , but it makes a world of difference , that 60mm between a 110mm and 50mm (nearly 2 1/2 inches) is the difference between a M and a L-XL frame on top tube length.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘short stems whats the advantage and why are DH stems short?’ is closed to new replies.