Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Short steerer? No problem, just weld a bit on…..
  • SirHC

null

mashr

Fair enough….if done well

Kahurangi

No no no no no no

Has it been appropriately heat treated afterwards?

Run away!

SirHC

Has it been appropriately heat treated afterwards?

They’ve tapped the steerer for an EDC tool twice for good measure…

Daffy

Aluminium or steel? if the latter, it may be okay. For the former *shakes head*.

Never mind thread tapping it, I’d be giving it a good few whacks on the floor to see if it shatters.

carbonroadrat
    Free Member

Its possible to have a new steerer pressed in. costs a bit but less than the dental bill when you loose your teeth.

onehundredthidiot

Guy I rode with at the puffer years ago had this done on his steerer, unbeknownst to him. We had to abandon when I took him to raigmore hospital.

Northwind

That bit’s probably under the least stress of any part of the fork tbh- stem’ll be bolted over it, and it’s right at the opposite end of the lever. Even a total failure’d probably not be disastrous since you’d have the bottom bolt of the stem still below the break.

I mean, I wouldn’t want it on my bike but it could be worse. Probably the damage on my old forks caused by previous owner’s bloody awful chris king headset was more dangerous.

tmb467
    Free Member

Can you melt a bit onto the ruler to make it look longer?

martymac

Ive done this before, that bike got ridden for years after it, by a big strong, heavy bloke. No problems at all.
    Was relatively basic 4130 tho.
    I was also a welder at the time, although I did it on my home gear.

cogwomble
    Free Member

If it’s done right it’s fine.

If you need to make two bits of metal into one, welding is the correct method, it’s why chassis in top fuel race cars aren’t bolted together.

Swirly
    Free Member

I think it’s this sort of ‘can do’ attitude that makes us British and paved the way for the Industrial Revolution.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

If it’s done right it’s fine.

If you need to make two bits of metal into one, welding is the correct method, it’s why chassis in top fuel race cars aren’t bolted together.

Pretty much this. If it’s good enough for a massive ship…

squirrelking
    Free Member

The problem is this all hinges (literally) on “if it’s done right”.

Without appropriate NDT you would never know. Personally speaking I wouldnt trust it.

As for the placement, it may not have impact stresses like the bottom of the steerer but what happens on a sketchy landing when you suddenly put your whole weight on the bars?

scruff9252

That Braemar cruise ship video is pretty impressive. Managing to get a clear, perpendicular cut right through in the inner decks so the new piece slotted cleanly in must have taken some precision work.

Sandwich

must have taken some precision work.

Measure n, cut once par excellence.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Short steerer? No problem, just weld a bit on…..’ is closed to new replies.