Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Short stack height
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hey Chaps,

Just reading the Knolly article, and realised I run my stack height higher on my Enduro bike and lower on my XC bike.

Do folk run lower stack heights on their bikes when riding steep and gnarly stuff?

(I know stack is static, I’m using stack height to refer to the top of the grips effectively). 🙂

Cheers

Ricks

SirHC

My enduro is higher than my smuggler, enduro gets ridden on steeper trails.

hols2
    Free Member

For descending, bars higher. For climbing, bars lower.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geex
    Free Member

No

All my bikes have a fairly neutral bar height so they handle well on ALL the stuff I find most fun (everything except climbing).
    comparing stack height alone between bikes is fairly irelevant. all bar/grip heights should be set relative to BB height and bike length (and to some extent geometry). As opposed to simply measuring spacers/bar rise or distance from the ground etc.
    But no. You don’t need particularly high bars to ride steep gnarly stuff. If that’s what you’re getting at?

Sorry. Knolly’s are still far too ugly for me to even try and find whatever article you’ve read.

chiefgrooveguru

My bikes are similar but I use them for similar riding. My bars have got bigger as the reach has got longer, just feels better like that.

joemmo
    Free Member

I’ve only one MTB and have moved to a slightly higher bar as I’ve started riding harder trails but it hasn’t impacted climbing significantly. That said I think the standover and ability to get the seat down and out of the way is more critical for that kind of terrain. There are some attempts to apply a formula to get the BB to grip distance based on your height but there’s a lot more variables than that to consider

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The longer my front centre has got, the higher my bars can come without climbing detriment. My bars have also got wider.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Short stack height’ is closed to new replies.