Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Short (30-40mm) stems
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Anyone have any recommendations?
    I note that Hope do a 35mm, and syntace do a nice one (although I’m not sure why they’re >£100 in europe and about £60 in the US considering they’re a european outfit).
    Any others? I thought they were all the rage but can’t find too many.
    Thanks!

honourablegeorge

HAve the 50mm syntace – it’s ace, lighter than pretty much anyone else, really well made and finished, 10 year warranty, and includes a top cap. Bought form EBay so paid the S price, mych cheaper than the Renthal Apex which was the other option.

(Renthal is cheaper from bike-components.de than UK prices too)

kayak23

At 45mm and £27, the Funn Funnduro stem is great.
    Really light and airy and lush.

Here…

Tracey

We have been using the 35mm El Guapo Corto Stems from On One. look good, light, does the job and whats great is the price. Think we paid £24.99 each, now at £29.99

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/STEGCO/el-guapo-corto-stem

AlexSimon

Race Face Atlas 35mm (or is that only for 35mm diameter bars)?
    I had the Funn on my list too.

binners

Another vote for the Funn Funnduro

I’ve had one on for a couple of years now. An unbelievably high quality piece of kit for that kind of money

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

+1 for the El Guapo Corto

ahwiles
    Free Member

i can recommend the on-one el-guapo stem.

cheap, light, and strong

(eat that Keith Bontrager!)

wrecker
    Free Member

Race Face Atlas 35mm?

Std OS bars I’m afraid. Only comes in 50mm.
    honorablegeorge, how much did the syntace set you back on ebay? Can’t see any of them on there now. Shame, looks really nice (but not £100 nice). Renthal apex 40mm looks OK for £65.
    My inner tart cannot go “EL GUAPO”.

wrecker
    Free Member

Mondraker onoff stoic?

Probably not worth more than the Renthal though.

honourablegeorge

I bought from these guys, made a best offer about 15 Euro below what they were asking, and was accepted – no 35mm on sale right now though, only 50mm

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Syntace-Megaforce-2-Stem-50mm-96d-Black-/371045632897?pt=US_Stems&hash=item56640b0b81

binners

£100+ for that Syntace 😯

WTF?!! Seriously? It looks like a bog standard Race Face Ride that can be had for about a tenner. At least with a Hope or the Renthal you can see why they’d cost a bit more

wrecker
    Free Member

Thanks. I’m not in a rush so will keep my eyes on ebay. I would like one of those.
    Renthal spitulate >780mm bars for the apex, which I do have but it doesn’t fill me with confidence.

honourablegeorge

binners – Member
    £100+ for that Syntace

WTF?!! It looks like a bog standard Race Face Ride that can be had for about a tenner

Yeah, but it’s all ti bolts, lighter than a Renthal Apex, rated for DH with 800mm bars, 10 year warranty, no garish logos, and can be had for closer to half that price.

AlexSimon

binners – Member

£100+ for that Syntace

WTF?!! Seriously? It looks like a bog standard Race Face Ride that can be had for about a tenner. At least with a Hope or the Renthal you can see why they’d cost a bit more
    That’s the same with all Liteville/Syntace stuff though – until you look closely.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve got a 30mm Syntace Megaforce 2 on my Liteville.
    It’s a very nice little piece of engineering, as indeed everything from Syntace seems to be (their carbon bars are very nice too).

Stevet1
    Free Member

I run a renthal duo 40mm, not much benefit in the apex at that length.

dbcooper
    Free Member

Blimey they are all cheap. I am in love with the Spank Spike 35mm long. Got two of them. V short, v stiff. But 53 quid.. I got it cheaper, can’t remember how.

cokie

cheap, light, and strong

Tracey

I took a 60mm Syntace off to fit the 30mm El Guapo, looks OK to me, hope it doesn’t make me look like a tart on the trails

dingleberry
    Free Member

I have the Hope 35mm. Mostly because it’s Hope. 😀 Light and solid, but think you’d have to try pretty hard for a stem not to be at that length.

wrecker
    Free Member

hope it doesn’t make me look like a tart on the trails

Quite the opposite! I don’t want one because I’m too much of a tart!
    I may just grab a hope one rather than buy a syntace from the US.

nach
    Free Member

I got the spank one too. They are even blingier than they look in photos.

Phil_H

I had one of the Funnduro stems with easton haven carbon bars and it creaked something rotten (torque wrench used to fit).
    Changed out to a Hope AM/FR and no more creaking.

matther01
    Free Member

I have a 50mm syntace like honourable and it is a seriously good bit of kit. Was about £70 inc post and tax. They go down to 20mm too I think. Only issue is they’re -/+5mm rise.

vincienup
    Free Member

50mm kore for 35mm bars was about thirty quid at crc. No creaks. Nice.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Funnduro for me, very light, very good price… not broken yet.

Bagstard
    Free Member

That DMR looked pretty good, but over 100g heavier than than the funnduro! 😯

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Short (30-40mm) stems’ is closed to new replies.