• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by anc.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Shopping for hiking bargains in the Lakes.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Years ago pre internet on my first visit to the Lakes it was possible to get some good deals on outdoor kit due to the amount of competition. Is it still the case now? Going to the Lakes for about a week this summer and I could do with some new lightweight boots or walking shoes. Is it worth waiting til we go, are there any places known for their bargains in the likes of Keswick or Ambleside?

geoffj

Gaynor’s is always worth a punt, but its a bit hit and miss. The Mountain factor is good for Patagonia – both in Bumblethwaite and both with online shops too.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

No it’s not, if anything more expensive than online

footflaps

Gaynor’s has the odd bargain, but generally other than Sale Rails the Lakes is quite pricy. My favourite shop is the Epic Centre, really nicely designed layout rather than loads of stuff all crammed together.

GregMay
    Free Member

Basement in Gaynors if your a size Large.

geoffj

Basement in Gaynors if your a size Large.

This ^ 😳

eddie11
    Free Member

Mountain factor get samples in from a range of brands great if you are male medium or female 14.

tetchypete
    Free Member

I recently saw some Montane trousers I liked in Gaynors, checked the internet and found them 10 quid cheaper……………..on Gaynors web site! Needless to say I left the shop and ordered them online.

failedengineer

My OH found some boots in Gaynors which she’d seen online on their website. They were £20-odd pounds cheaper online. They wouldn’t match the price or even budge slightly. What’s that all about? She went home and ordered them online. Delivery arrived next day.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

It really is a case of stumbling across bargains on sale rails. last time up I got some good reductions at Cotswold (Berghaus mid layer & North face Trousers), Rathbones in Keswick (Berghaus smock fleece) and The Mountain Factor in Ambleside (Patagonia base & mid layer). best sale rail was in The Mountain Factor. The days of John Gaynor being the go-to bargain shop is long gone I’m afraid.

binners

Outdoor shops in the Lakes exist solely to sell overpriced rufty-tufty looking gear for people to wear while walking from the car park to the tea-rooms. The prices reflect this. I’d say you’d have more luck in Manchester city centre, or online

mav12
    Free Member

one of the rathbones shops in keswick was closing down last time i was there and had some discounted stuff,

uponthedowns
    Free Member

The Trespass shop in Ambleside is good. Picked up a nice soft shell jacket for £20 last time I was there

danposs86

There is a good Trespass outlet shop in K Village in Kendal. Lots of reduced stuff there.

anc
    Free Member

Planet fear and Needlesports in keswick and Rockandrun ambleside have some great deals a lot of the time. The rest are probably better online as they have a captive market in the honeypots and their prices reflect this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Shopping for hiking bargains in the Lakes.’ is closed to new replies.