Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Shopping by bike
  • DezB
    Free Member

I know this should be over there << but it’s not the same crowd..

http://blog.wiggle.com/2013/05/28/shopping-by-bike/

I’ve signed up – seeing as I’ve got a trailer that I have never used!

Anyone else?

footflaps

I do most of my shopping by bike, carry no end of stuff back and forth. Have broken two pannier racks in the process by exceeding their 25 kg load on several occasions.

Just need to figure out how to carry multiple sheets of 8′ x 4′ ply on the bike and I’ll no longer need to keep borrowing an Estate car for trips to the builder’s yard….

Cougar

Non-starter for me. I live on a bloody big hill with the shops at the bottom of it. Hauling a week’s groceries up there isn’t going to happen.

Nice idea, though.

brakes
    Free Member

I can walk to the shop for groceries or cycle and put stuff in a rucksack if I need to go elsewhere, generally the only thing I use a car for (Zipcar) is DIY/ garden purchases which are often large/ cumbersome/ heavy.
    If that chappy on the blog was offering a loan of a trailer for 6 weeks I’d happily take part but without one, I’m not sure my feedback would be of benefit.

footflaps

I pass loads of shops on my way to / from work, so stopping off to buy groceries is pretty easy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

When I’m in That London I shop by bike unless its a big foodie shop. Simply sodding off to Borough Market for the small amount of veg n stuff is easy on the foldie, but a Waitrose shop is too much and too bulky to carry on the Foldie.

AdamW
    Free Member

I’d love to but to be honest I’m scared that I’ll get to the shops lock up my bike and get back to find it gone.

The local Tesco has a bike rack but I’d be more interested if they had a decent camera pointing at them to discourage thieves.

footflaps

I’d love to but to be honest I’m scared that I’ll get to the shops lock up my bike and get back to find it gone.

What you want is a hack bike / town bike, which looks suitably unattractive and then a half decent lock.

DezB
    Free Member

That’s what has discouraged me in the past (or having my kid with me). But those quick pops to Tescos Express are now going to be by bike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I do this with a pair of panniers – surprising what you can get in

I ignore most bike racks as usually tucked out the way and hidden, park next to windows or better under view cctv camera

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I was surprised at how little i could get in my 56l panniers! Its basically a hand basket’s worth of stuff.

I’ve love a Cargo bike, but ironically, i’d probably need a garage to keep it in (too big to get in the house) whereas i can park my car for free on the street.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I get an aldi small trolley into my 56 litre altura orkneys or a weeks shopping for 2

yunki
    Free Member

I almost bit off more than I could chew the other day with both kids, a cnoc 14 and 15kg of shopping on board..

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have now had a cargo bike for 5 years.

It is quite literally the best thing I’ve ever bought. 🙂

Pictures

molgrips
    Free Member

I travel for work by train and bike, with a week’s worth of clothes and stuff in panniers. I really want a Burley Travoy for this purpose though.

I shopped by bike for years as a student and until the age of about 25, as did loads of other people. I just used a rucksack.

footflaps

I have now had a cargo bike for 5 years.

That looks pretty cool. Not sure I could give up the speed and agility of my Il Pompino commuting though, I like riding to work like I’ve just robbed a bank…..

D0NK

used to, full weeks shopping in an cavernous rucksack, bit touch and go leaning over to swing my leg over the saddle but once on I could just roll down the hill back home. Since getting a car I got a bit lazy and since kids I doubt I could manage the full shop in one go.

not got any more room to stash a cargo bike or trailer.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are great trailers on amazon that fold flat. I’m tempted, they are much cheaper than a burley travoy, but less convenient for trains.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I walk to the shop.

tthew

Surely the answer for the ‘big shop’, (assuming you have a family, or just get too much stuff to manage on a standard bike) is to have it delivered?
    Most of the big supermarkets have it, and once the Aldi/Lidl’s break into that there’s really no excuse to not. Yes, it’s delivered by a van, but that van will also drop off 20 or so other loads so it’s comparatively environmentally friendly.

BigDummy
    Free Member

have it delivered

That’s right of course, but when I’m not using it for doing a big shop I can carry a passenger, 2x 5-litre jugs of cider and some tankards on the Big Dummy.

🙂

zilog6128

There are great trailers on amazon that fold flat. I’m tempted, they are much cheaper than a burley travoy, but less convenient for trains.

That would negate what (to me) seems like the main advantage with a Travoy (or similar) – because you can detach it and wheel it into the store, you can scan your items with the handheld scanner thingy and pack them as you go so at the till you don’t have to unload/scan/reload. Still a lot of money though for saving a bit of time/being a bit eco!

cranberry
    Free Member

The local Tesco has a bike rack but I’d be more interested if they had a decent camera pointing at them to discourage thieves.

This ^^^

I think the problem for many cyclists in the UK is that they don’t have a cheap/knackered enough looking bike to leave it outside a shop on a regular basis and have any hope of it still being there. If there was room in my cellar for one more bike it’d be a tatty looking old Dutch Herrenfiets.

DezB
    Free Member

Still waiting to hear back from the Wiggle/CTC fella.

simmy
    Free Member

I regular nip down the high street on the bike.

Bought a £40 bike, couple of panniers and a decent lock, panniers off when parked, fill them whilst shopping and its so easy.

Most of the time I can park the bike closer than the car anyway but for a big shop, its all uphill so the car wins but just for nipping bank, haircut, or for some lunch, its well easy.

Wouldn’t do it on the Orange though as it wouldn’t be there when I got back so get a unattractive bike, this one was owned by a kid previous and its got them panini football stickers stuck on various bit of the frame and hologram stickers !!! Nice….

woody2000

Dez – the CTC (assuming you mean Gavin Wood) fella is my brother. There’s been a bit of a re-shuffle as far as his job is concerned & he’s been off for a month. He’s started back today, so I’m sure he’ll answer your query as soon as he can. I’ll give him a nudge though 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Nice one woody – I just presumed he was waiting until he got enough sign-ups. No rush 🙂

cleanerbybike
    Free Member

The CTC fella is me, and yes, I’m Woody’s brother. If you’ve sent me an email about the Shop by Bike trial I’ll get back to you ASAP. And anyone thinking of signing up, do so! You’ll be helping me out, earning a £10 Wiggle voucher, and more importantly giving us some ammo to lobby the supermarkets to provide better facilities for people who want to shop by bike.

Ta 🙂

footflaps

The Tesco in Cambridge, which I cycle past on my way to work, has loads of cycle racks. One set right outside the store front, so you can see your bike from the tills and another larger one in the main carpark – very cycle friendly. Only thing which isn’t cycle friendly are the stupid self service tills which can’t cope with panniers / courier bags and just go on about ‘unexpected item in bagging area’.

aracer
    Free Member

I shopped by unicycle last week if that counts. Saves on the worry about your bike being nicked – I simply popped it next to the door just inside the supermarket, visible from customer services (was using a 26er, which is a bit big to carry around – I’ve carried a 20″ wheel around shops with me without anybody getting upset).

footflaps, I’ve had that problem before, but this time it seemed to work fine with my rucksack – at least after getting the machine to weigh my bag properly (I think I upset the sequence by putting my bag down before pressing the button to say I was using my own bag, so had to get assistance there). Not even a problem taking stuff in and out to repack – it complained about item removed, but once I put it all back it was happy. One little detail I remembered this time was to take my wallet out of the bag before putting it down!

rootes1

local morrisons (woking) built new cycle parking inc this one right by the entrance when they extended the store.

woody2000

Morning bump 🙂

Could I ask people to tweet, FB, blog etc etc the link please? 🙂

Ta muchly!

http://blog.wiggle.com/2013/05/28/shopping-by-bike/

DezB
    Free Member

I think I’ve done my bit in that respect 😉

footflaps

Re self serve tills, I just pile up the stuff on the ‘out’ side on the metal plate and then fill my bag after I’ve paid, that way I avoid ever upsetting the machine with my courier bag. I gave up trying to reason with the machines after many failed attempts. They don’t seem to respond no matter how loudly I swear at them.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Email sent 🙂

Time I started this – been meaning to for ages….

DrP

A lot of the self service tills in my tesco have the ‘i’m using my own bag’ function – put bag on, THEN it starts to weigh..

Brill!

DrP

pictonroad

Saw a chap in waitrose pulling his kiddie trailer round, self scanning and putting stuff straight into the trailer. Walked up to the checkout, paid, out the shop, clipped trailer to the bike and he was gone before I’d opened the car boot.

Brilliant idea.

footflaps

A lot of the self service tills in my tesco have the ‘i’m using my own bag’ function – put bag on, THEN it starts to weigh..

Have to say I’ve never got that to work with my bags, they weigh too much for the machine to accept.

STATO
    Free Member

People using the ‘big shop’ as an excuse, give it up, the big shop that is! Just shop more often, youll find you can then buy more fresh stuff and its easy if you just nip in on way home from work.

That said, i can fit a £70 asda shop into 2 panniers plus a bag or two. Only things that cause problems are large volume items like toilet roll or multi-pack type items. Usually just strap those to the top of the rack tho.

Or get a trailer if you fancy one…

IMG_1601 by dickyelsdon, on Flickr

miketually
    Free Member

Between a 90l pannier on one side and a council recycling box bungeed to the other, I can get a family Big Shop on the back of my bike and still have space on the front box/rack to call in for a 20kg bag of chicken food on the way home 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Shopping by bike’ is closed to new replies.