Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • shooting stuff
  • iDave
    Free Member

is it legal to shoot an air rifle at a target through 3 open doors – from the lounge, through the kitchen, conservatory, into the garden towards said target? shooting position is 4 yards from a road, but shooting in the other direction and gun can't be seen by anyone other than me and my lads whoever might be in the lounge….. target is huge and would be hard to bypass with a shot

BontyBuns
    Free Member

Yes.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

It almost doesn't matter if it's legal or not.

If theres a richochet, or the pellets otherwise cause harm or loss to someone or their property, then they may still have civil action against you.

Say the pellets go through the fence, or richochet over, and the neighbours cat east them and dies, there could be a claim for that loss.

Best thinking to do, is find somewhere safe to do it. If you felt it was totally safe, you'd probably not be here looking for advice?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kevevs
    Free Member

so, in real terms, you are sitting back , pointing a gun at something you wanna kill but want stw to give you the go-ahead to rid you of guilt? go-ahead..

Jammy111
    Free Member

cant shoot within so many metres of a public highway, think its around 15. which means you are snookered

Onzadog
    Free Member

Trouble with the locals again?

uplink
    Free Member

so, in real terms, you are sitting back , pointing a gun at something you wanna kill

… target is huge and would be hard to bypass with a shot

Yup, it's an elephant 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can you either eat what you're shooting or legitimately claim it as pest control? If no to both, then what's the point? 😉

iDave
    Free Member

Thanks, I'll go ahead and slaughter some slabs of insulation material.

Any recipes Kevevs?

The 'point' is that all kids should be taught how to shoot stuff…….

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Probably best to stand in the garden and shoot into the house.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

Probably best to stand in the garden and shoot into the house.

STW always has the best advice. 😀 😀

Kevevs
    Free Member

slab sanwich, with a side order of crispy concrete… I dunno, are you trying to make a point? make it then? or just shoot stuff!

I'm not saying it's bad btw! acucrate creative shooting is cool!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

its only illegal to shoot within fifty feet of the centre of a highway (which constitutes a carriageway, so not FP or BW) and as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

As long as there is a safe backstop there is no reason not to, however recent changes in the law mean that if the pellet went beyond the boundary of land that you had permission to fire across then you'd be committing a criminal offence (airgun only, other firearms this would only constitute a civil offence)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The 'point' is that all kids should be taught how to shoot stuff…….

Where are the STW Moral Minority when you need them? They'll be along soon to say you're a bad person and almost as bad as Hitler, you mark my words!

(By the way, I agree with you on that!)

Hairychested
    Free Member

If you want to make it more STW-approvable place your bike there and shoot the thieving scum. You'll be patted on your back here.

Kevevs
    Free Member

they're at BBB. I used to shoot stuff with a webley tempest when I was a kid, sanctioned by my dad, who just wanted it for himself and fun through me!. I never killed much, unless u count crabs. I never killed anything i couldn't use for bait.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Speak to your local beat manager, if the gun can't be seen and you're basically in the house shooting at something in the garden I'd say you'll be alright

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Christ if nobody can see you shooting it, and you make sure that ricochet isn't an issue. You'll be fine.

Pretty sure there is more than a few forum users sat at home enjoying illegal activities this very minute.

skiboy
    Free Member

The most important thing is to teach your kids
    To shoot responsibly and you have failed in teaching them to shoot through your house , sorry if it sounds preachy but that sets the standard for them to follow, find a club or a farm, another thing to consider is the reaction of neighbours ,most will knee jerk at the site of a gun , all weapons air or powder are considered as firearms by the police and if called they will respond in a way you may find rather uncomfortable ,
    I can put a legal powered 177 pellet through a 4mm nylon plate at 100m and it goes clean through , if that was to hit someone it could seriously wound them or even with a fluke of a shot, kill them, for that reason you should never shoot anywhere where you can't see the shot fall ,
    Sorry, really just saying you should be careful, teach your kids to shoot , just not in your house and garden .

iDave
    Free Member

yes it sounds preachy skiboy, neighbours will never see a gun, they have been taught the safety aspects until they were sick of them before they got near a trigger, and proved capable of hitting targets and missing door frames. at 13 I was off on my own shooting rabbits with a 12 bore.

donsimon
    Free Member

Not sure about the law, but aren't you only supposed to shoot what you can eat? Good luck. 😉

br
    Free Member

cant shoot within so many metres of a public highway, think its around 15. which means you are snookered

Since when?

And that basically means practically every garden (in an urban area).

But to answer the original question, if its fine from a safety perspective – I'd do it. Kids need to be taught how to safely use a gun.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>The 'point' is that all kids should be taught how to shoot stuff……. <

Yeah and the more guns and kids we can have shooting stuff in the urban environment the better.

Get a fcekn grip.

skidartist
    Free Member

Since when?

Since the firearms act

From a table of weapon offences and current penalties

"Firing air weapon within 15m/50ft of a road of street – maximum penalty £1000"

>The 'point' is that all kids should be taught how to shoot stuff……. <

"Selling or hiring air weapon or ammunition to a person under 17 – 6 months and/or £5000"
    "Making a gift of air weapon or ammunition to person under 14 – £1000 fine"

Just how 'making a gift' is defined I'm not sure.

Not information I'd like to have at my fingertips but my gf's family are having bother with an elderly neighbour taking potshots at seaguls in their garden.

iDave
    Free Member

Get a fcekn grip

yes, closely supervised kids with air rifles in their parents homes have brought the country to it's knees. Daily Wail is full of reports of the pellet death and havoc raining down on our suburbs.

The alleged gun hasn't been bought for them, or given to them, so reckon it's ok on that front.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

You missed a few crucial words off in the bit you copied about the distance to the road:

"It is an offence to fire an air rifle pellet beyond the land where you have permission to shoot, unless the occupier of the neighbouring land has also given you permission. Where someone under 14 is shooting, both the young person and the supervising adult can be prosecuted.

It is also against the law, in England and Wales, to fire an air rifle within 50 feet of the centre of a highway if this results in someone being injured, interrupted or endangered. These offences could be committed, for example, when someone is shooting in their garden close to a road and the pellets ricochet onto the highway."

fubar
    Free Member

At my house I've discovered that anybody could enter my garden at any time…I've had experience of neighbours kids, kids friends etc being in my garden (usual excuse is getting a ball) – even with a 6 foot fence and bolted gate they get in. I nearly hit one with the car as they came down my drive whilst I as reversing in. They shouldn't be there but that's not going to be a great excuse when you hit one.

skidartist
    Free Member

not trying to be sanctimonius about it, you're asking if its legal, and there are laws that relate, so you just need to make sure what you are doing is legal within them. Depending how you get on with your neighbours the issue thats likely to arise is how annoyed / frightened / intimidated they'll be by the sound of airguns being fired. They might not mind, they might take the hump, they might call the cops, regardless of how you actually stand in relation the law, the cops would still come. Don't underestimate how nervy people will get where airguns are concerned, even the sound of them will worry people.

My only thought about firing through the house into the garden, through a couple of doorways, is what the chances are of people or pets passing between you and the target, as at those doorways or in the garden someone wouldn't be able to see either the target or the gun or both and be unaware that they are passing between them, similarly for the shooter they won't see anyone approaching until they step infront of the target. Wouldn't it be wiser to have a more open space or is shooting through the house the only way to get a decent distance to the target?

iDave
    Free Member

Which people and pets might walk through a doorway? No pets in the house. The only people would be the two standing behind the gun and the one holding the gun. I had thought of that. Do you honestly think I'm stupid enough to fire through three doorways in a house with people and pets roaming around?? Are you a special needs teacher?

skiboy
    Free Member

ow thats a bit bitchy, you asked a question to which people have given you their honest answers, if you didn't want to hear the answers you shouldn't have asked the masses,

a lot of us can see a potential accident in the making, guns, indoors, kids neighbours,police , why don't you get some stella in the mix and go the whole hog,

as for shooting rabbits as a teenager, i've done the same, been around guns all my life but i still know not to shoot through a house, good luck,

skidartist
    Free Member

My only thought

Keep your blouse on, it was only a thought, I've no idea whether you might have pets or anyone beyond "me and my lads" in the household. A mrs iDave perhaps. Without a list of keyholders being stated it just seems awkward to shoot through the house, as you're left no periferal view of whats around the target, why not shoot in the garden where you are surrounded by soft stuff that a bad shot will disappear into, rather then in the house where shots will bounce about?

Anyway you seem to have all the self assurance of a sleepwalker that this is all totally sound, so what was the point of asking?

iDave
    Free Member

I asked if it was legal

I didn't request a full H&S risk assessment, though nice to know people care

user-removed
    Free Member

Yup – 50 feet from a public highway is the law. But…. I do exactly what you are proposing – I open the patio doors and shoot through the kitchen and living room. My kitchen door opens onto a public highway and I haven't been arrested yet.

I only shoot pennies though and they don't make for great eating.

Other than that, occasionally take the guns out to a nearby disused quarry with no bother.

donsimon
    Free Member

OMG! Shooting within 50ft of a public highway and

I only shoot pennies

the highly illegal act of defacing money.

Won't somebody please think of the children!!!!

konabunny
    Free Member

Do you honestly think I'm stupid enough to fire through three doorways in a house with people and pets roaming around?

You're asking if you and your kids can fire an air rifle from the couch in the lounge through two rooms and out the back door. "Yes" is probably not an unreasonable answer to your question!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Don't know about legality but teaching kids to shoot with pellets? WTF?

You sad man.

How about teaching them Maths and English? maybe a healthy hobby, or you shoot the tv to change channel from your sofa and hits your head and knock some sense into you.

Is it ok if I go around stabbing stuff as long as its in my own home?
    Sure but you are fruit cake!

Innit?

Cuckoo cuckoo! sorry OP but shooting anything is poor form. Try riding a bike instead or enlist to serve in Afghanistan?

:mrgreen:

AIRGUN OWNERSHIP AND CHILDREN

26 August 2008

The tragic shooting of the toddler Rashid Rullah highlights once again the terrible consequences of the ‘boys’ toys’ culture surrounding airgun ownership. This culture results in easy access, casual regard and non-accountability.

Because airguns are not treated as ‘real’ weapons they are not thought worthy of registration or regulation. They are not taken seriously.

Yet they are responsible for around half of all firearms offences and over a quarter (1054 in 2006/7) of all serious firearms injuries.

Children pick up air weapons that are left lying around and use them to kill, blind and injure other children, often siblings or friends. The adults who own these guns are rarely held to account. There is no law requiring them to store their weapons safely nor is there any record of ownership. The terrible tragedies of Rashid, Mitchel, Alex, Danny S, Danny M, David, George, Kazim, Lorna, Matthew, Micah, Nicola, Somma and others are not merely ‘accidents’. They are preventable and culpable incidents.

Two years ago twelve-year-old Mitchel Picken was killed by another child while friends played around with a father’s air weapon. Had this gun been properly secured Mitchel would be alive today. His parents join the Gun Control Network in calling upon Government to bring in legislation to register airguns and their owners, and make them liable for the misuse of their weapons.

Andrew Picken, Mitchel’s father, says ‘The irresponsibility of an air gun owner has once again led to the shooting of a young child. The Government cannot hide behind recent changes in legislation, which failed to take the airgun problem seriously enough and make owners responsible for storing their weapons safely. Airguns and their owners could be registered, and they should be.’

Hey Pa can I play with the air gun please?

iDave yesterday:

I only asked legalities not if I was a moron owning an pellet gun…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Will the kids be graduating to shooting the rusty pickups in the front garden?

iDave
    Free Member

a lot of judgmental angst around. anyone would think this is STW

they're top sets maths and english thanks, i ride bikes with them already

any other parenting advice?

shooting anything is poor form

damn those biathletes

frankenstien, comparing me Raul Moat is beyond belief – if you think along those lines you're quite tragic and probably have a personality disporder. can you tell me the connection between what i have described and a violent misogynistic abusive murderer? tosser

user-removed
    Free Member

Frankenstein. I am sorry to inform you that both my wife and I were were brought up around guns and neither of us are hillbillies or fanatics. We also still have all our own teeth 🙂

Being allowed to shoot guns as a child instills a sense of respect and responsibility IMveryhumbleO. It's also great fun – at least as much as riding a bike…

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Yeah but do the athletes practise on the sofa in front of their kids or do they go to a controlled instructed centre?

I'm glad they're in top sets, they can go to uni and shoot everyone in the Uni lecture theatre.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘shooting stuff’ is closed to new replies.