• This topic has 95 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • Shooting badgers
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

Nobody else thing that “Shooting Badgers” would be a great name for a band?

Pigface
    Free Member

If I was milking yes I could be tucked up in bed at 7, what’s your point caller 😀

Lamping for rabbits or foxes is a bit different to hired marksmen going all out to kill the majority of badgers in a designated area.

Only know a few boys who kept rifles, one was a licensed culler and would go places like Whipsnade and shoot some of their herds, his trip to shoot Chinese water deer was memorable 😯 he would also go to Scotland regularly after deer.

Just seems to me that the evidence for a cull is a bit vague. Anyway quality shaving kit will come down in price 😉

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Nobody else thing that “Shooting Badgers” would be a great name for a band?

Not as good as “Stabbing Beavers”…

philconsequence
    Free Member

“12gauge Badger Cull” works well as a band name

richmars

So how’s it going to work if it goes nationwide? Will armed badger shooters be allowed to roam at will on private property?

duckman

“Killing badgers eh? I’ve got something to say about that, but first I’m going to eat this highly venomous snake…..raw”

toys19
    Free Member

Not as good as “Stabbing Beavers”..

Someone was killed by a beaver the other day mailclickbait

El-bent
    Free Member

Either way, few people seem to disagree that the main vector of bovine tb is cattle to cattle not badger to cattle.

Reminds me of the foot and mouth outbreak, with farmers still moving cattle about in the first weeks.

While I’m in favour of population control when it comes to protecting habitat, Certainly not in favour of culling just because something interferes with what we Humans are doing.

So what happens if it is not successful?

very clear evidence that culling can help but that it will also make the problem worse. This cull as framed is a pointless waste of money.

A bigger cull?

marcus7
    Free Member

A question… has this been tried anywhere else in the world? and if so what were the results?. I cant fathom the reasoning behind this and it does look not well thought out, even listening to the minister this morning on the radio i felt non the wiser. It seems like a pretty extreme experiment to me but im not going to dismiss it on that basis alone. There appeared to be talk of reducing numbers in the test areas by 5000 which in the grand scheme of things doesnt seem a huge number ( and i dont want to get into the numbers game thanks). I kind of like the grumpy badger and would rather not see them culled but if it can prove the case either way then perhaps its a worthwhile nasty pill to swallow ( please dont start on the godwins for goodness sake). Oh and for the record yes i eat meat and i do live in the country and i have hit a badger on my bike (i lost and he was VERY ANGRY! 🙂 )

deviant
    Free Member

True story:

I was at work one night on the rapid response car and received a call to an address in the middle of nowhere, the call was a ‘chest pains’ emergency and i set off with haste….came round a corner and hit a badger….i didnt stop, i was being sent to a person potentially having a heart attack after all.

When i arrived on scene the patient was describing cardiac type pain and showing adverse clinical signs (pale, clammy skin etc)….an ambulance was sent to convey this gentleman to hospital.
    When the crew arrived they said they’d passed a badger that was in a terrible state down the lane, looked paralysed and was dragging its back legs….they hadnt stopped either due to the nature of this call, i said that i had hit the badger on my way to the emergency and one of the crew said that i wasnt needed here anymore and should go back and sort it out.

I drove down the lane and came across the badger, it was alive but looked a mess.
    I reckoned the kindest thing was to put it down so i looked in the boot for something solid to hit it on the head with….i found a crow bar from the kit we carry to help gain entry to locked properties and set about the wounded animal….turns out a badger is quite a hardy animal and repeated blows to the head with a crow bar was not killing said animal quickly or humanely….i had also become aware that i was stood in the road next to an ambulance car in full paramedic costume wielding a crow bar above a dying badger, it wouldnt look great if another car came along and saw this macabre scene….i quickly moved the badger to the front of the car and positioned its head under one of the front wheels.

I got in the car and drove forward….the sound wasnt pleasant but it did the trick, the badger was dead and i moved it into an adjoining field.
    Later that night i bumped into the crew at A&E, the guy who asked me to go back and sort it out asked how the badger was….i recounted my story to him but stopped when i noticed his face aghast at what i was saying….turns out when he said to go back and sort it out he meant take it to a vet….i had understood his instruction to ‘sort it out’ in the more sinister faux gangster movie interpretation of the phrase.

Oh well.

Anyway back on topic, there have always been various culls at various points in history, some are successful and some have unforeseen repercussions….i cant see too much of a problem with this, i dont see what benefits a huge number of badgers has and why their numbers cant be trimmed.

jekkyl

has anyone thought about culling Brian May?

Love his guitar and songwriting work but Brian do shut up. A gold pig to anyone who comes up with the best Queen song badger cull crossover title or lyric.
    Tie your Badger down?
    Find me a badger to cull. etc etc. 🙂

soundninjauk

I’m In Love With My Badger
    Fat Bottomed Badgers
    I Was Born To Love Badger
    Need Your Badger Tonight
    The Badger Must Go On

That’s probably enough…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

The Cull Will Go On… Too Much Love Will Kill Badgers… We Will Cull You… Erm… Who Wants to Love Forever?

Cougar

Badgerian Rhapsody.

The wheels just came off this thread, didn’t they.

Cougar

Ooh, ooh!

Hammer To Fall.

binners

On a more practical note, does anyone know any badger recipes?

Cougar

Are you putting together a sett menu?

binners

BOOM!!!

😆

Cougar

(-:

Found one for you. Badger Stew.

(This is not an instruction, do not harass any Stewarts you may know.)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

deviant, that’s brilliant. A mate of mine had a similar story after he ran over a cat one night (when out lamping). No probs he thought, gets shotgun out of the boot. Out of cartridges so he had to use the gun as a club…

On a more practical note, does anyone know any badger recipes?

I was just thinking that. Can’t be worse than the possum I ate in NZ.
    Butcher near us deals in grey squirrels. Waste not, want not….

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’ve tried squirrels – I shoot about 3 or 4 a week in my wood… They’re a bastard to skin – it’s a proper 2-man job, it doesn’t just ‘peel’ off like a rabbit’s pelt.

All the meat is on the back legs, so I trimmed them, made a stock from the carcass and braised the thigh meat in the stock. Just enough to fill 2 small ramekins, topped with little puff pastry lids. Delicious.

Badgers are related to weasels… I can’t imagine them being particularly tasty…

igm

Fat Bottomed Badgers

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

It’s quite clearly Fat Badgered Girls.

wwaswas

Have we had

“We will, we will brock you”

?

yunki
    Free Member

Shooting badgers..!?
    Are they no longer content with (allegedly) spreading diseases..?
    And who the bloody hell is selling them the guns..!?!?

jekkyl

Keep your-badger alive!
    Don’t lose your head.
    Another badger bites the dust.

soundninjauk

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

It’s quite clearly Fat Badgered Girls.

I absolutely stand corrected.

enfht
    Free Member

I wouldn’t dare shoot a badger, it might get angry.

DezB
    Free Member

repeated blows to the head with a crow bar was not killing…
    …I got in the car and drove forward….the sound wasnt pleasant but it did the trick

I found this story far more enjoyable with Brian May replacing the badger.

Northwind

Can I get away with just pronouncing Bijou a bit like badger? Badjou?

epicyclo

Jeez, you’re pretty rough on your badgers down south.

Up here in the real north they are treated with concern and care just like cyclists.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

A culled badger in Gateshead recently:

(to be pronounced in local accent)

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Queen songs:

Keep YourBadger Alive
    The March of the B lack Badger
    Killer Badger
    Badger on the Sidewalk

CountZero

Cougar, you nearly killed the Internet back there… 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Badgers don’t need culling round here, they cull themselves by not learning the green cross code.
    Pardon my ignorance but can’t cattle be imunised against TB like we do, or is bovine TB a totally different disease with no imunisation available? Or more likely, is there imunisation available but ‘it costs too much’?

mrmo
    Free Member

Or more likely, is there imunisation available but ‘it costs too much’?

basically… it is a bit more complicated, but basically money.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

KILL EVERYTHING

Yeh. If its bugging you and causing a problem with something you want to achieve then kill it. We humans appear to be the boss of this place, and have designed it such that we are so focussed on our important goals and objectives that we destroy anything that stands in the way. I don’t really see what badgers have that makes them an exception to the rule. Why are they more special. We have destroyed ‘our’ forests which gave us much more than badgers ever can do. Screw the badgers, swat them with that mechanical killing device! …and do it NOW before the uprising begins

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/183229/bovinetb-letter-paterson.pdf

Vaccination against bTB is explicitly forbidden in the EU legislation on disease control
    (Council Directive 78/52/EEC) and implicitly also in intra-Union trade legislation, as
    vaccination is not compatible with the provisions for testing and herd qualification (Council
    Directive 64/432/EEC). EU legislation is fully in line with OIE standards on international
    trade and can be changed only by the European Parliament and the Council.

EU legislation. Hardly surprising UKIP got so many votes is it?

mightymule
    Free Member

Memory is a bit hazy, but I’m sure I heard something relatively recently on radio four about development of a new bovine TB vaccine that wouldn’t create false positives. Maybe putting some funding into further development might be the way to go.

kjcc25
    Free Member

I grew up on a farm during the 1960’s and never saw a badger. Now dead badgers at the side of the road are far more common than dead hedgehogs. We never had TB on the farm either.

mrmo
    Free Member

EU legislation is fully in line with OIE standards on international
    trade and can be changed only by the European Parliament and the Council.

So the UK can stay in europe and work to get this changed to our benefit or leave the EU and accept we have no say in such rules.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Shooting badgers’ is closed to new replies.