Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 175 total)
  • Shoot the update guys?
  • scc999

Drac – Moderator
    Well they have.

DDOS Attacks on the host can’t see where they’ve blamed the users.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/oooh-its-back/page/6#post-8905027

Why don’t they put up a sticky unitl it’s resolved?
    New content is getting posted regularly so there is clearly time to put up a quick post telling us what is going on rather than, for the most part, ignoring us.
    The perception doing nothing gives is that they couldn’t give a toss.

All IMHO of course.

cozz
    Free Member

its quicker now than earlier

vongassit
    Free Member

I hope its not them pesky Russians meddling with our internets cables.

Cougar

Why don’t they put up a sticky unitl it’s resolved?

Why do you think?

Of course, there isn’t really a problem. There must be loads of other sites like this.

There are. We just don’t stifle discussion.

Poopscoop

Just my thoughts and separate from my “P” membership:

It’s a free forum and one of many. Lots of forums run smoother much of the time though some don’t.

I went through a period of getting the pop-ups but don’t any longer on my android.

I do get the slowdowns like last night though.

I stay around because the STW forums are my favourite on the net. Biking or otherwise. Even when a bit flaky.

Although I am a Premium member I am mostly logged out of the site till I actually post as my browser/the site logs me out. No idea why but doesn’t bother me seeing the adverts.

In summary, for me, the site will always be my home on the net until the day it doesn’t exist.

Just want the powers that be know that there are a vast amount of members that appreciate the site and the work (not to mention cost) of keeping it going.

Drac

Cheers Poop.

mechanicaldope

Just want the powers that be know that there are a vast amount of members that appreciate the site and the work (not to mention cost) of keeping it going.

+1

uphillcursing
    Free Member

As a counterpoint to Poop. I have cancelled my rolling sub today. Love the community on here but detest the log outs and emaciated hamsters. A sort of dirty protest i suppose.

I don’t read the mag (online version) so what does my P give me? A flaky forum with the naughty adds disabled and a small sense of doing the right thing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, no random log outs, only on the usual 2 week schedule which is normal for most web sites – current Australia post one logs me out after about 10 mins from the tracking page.
    Compared to a lot of online help sites and other boards where I get screaming video ads, full screen ads and much more. So happy here and when I reported an ad getting through to the P pages got a nice response.

Seeing some slow downs at the moment at some times, mostly around lunch time UK time. Hope you guys are having some luck tracking it down.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cannot believe how whiny people are about this. Sure it’s annoying, but so are lots of things. They are trying to fix it.

It’s not an online bank. That level of resliiency costs a hell of a lot of money, and let’s face it this is just a forum.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Because tight f*****s won’t pay a couple of quid a month for better hosting.

You’re (mostly) all your own worst enemies

That level of resliiency costs a hell of a lot of money, and let’s face it this is just a forum.

And yet plenty of other forums manage to get it right. With software and features from this decade to boot! FFS they can’t even get this to work properly on phones because they’re too tight to just upgrade to decent forum software. The last “update” caused more problems than it ever solved and still hasn’t been fixed. Why is that in any way an incentive to throw money at a lost cause?

I know it’s not a big business we’re talking about here but surely to god it’s plain to see that whoever is in charge of IT is winging it. Badly.

molgrips
    Free Member

And yet plenty of other forums manage to get it right.

Do they? No other forum been down or struggled ever?

This has been quick and responsive for many many years hasn’t it?

I know it’s not a big business we’re talking about here but surely to god it’s plain to see that whoever is in charge of IT is winging it.

Of course, but as you say it’s not a big business. Small businesses don’t act like big ones do they?

richmars

The thing is, we keep being told how important the forum (or, at least, the revenue it generates is) to the magazine. So, you would guess, it should important to keep it running and attracting new members.
    This doesn’t tally with the performance over the last few days.

scc999

Cougar – Moderator

Why don’t they put up a sticky until it’s resolved?

Why do you think?

I don’t know – that’s why I posed the question.

You seem to be trying to imply that you do know, as does everyone and I’m stupid for asking the question? So I’ll engage in pointless speculation to keep you amused.

Reasons for not putting up a post:

1) Denial. This one can be discounted – the thread linked to by Drac has a post saying is a DDOS attack on the host.

2) They don’t want to highlight to advertisers and potential users that there is a problem if they are not already aware. This one has legs.

3) Ignore it, it will go away. Can’t really see that myself, but as I’m speculating it seems fair game.

4) They don’t have time. Nah, as mentioned they have time to put up fresh content – a post takes a few minutes.

5) There is no 5.

6) Shut up users – we don’t care if you pay a subscription WE’RE in charge, not you. Bit harsh I suspect but with the lack of explanation, what’s a guy to do eh?

Any of those close?

Drac

5 is spot on.

nickc

I’d like to add my voice to Poop’s as well. Sure the recent performance has been not great, and I’m pretty certain the guys at STW towers are going flat out to try to sort it.

At least the timeouts make me go and do something useful! 😆

big_n_daft
    Free Member

7. They are preparing to sell up

Outage about adjusting the database to show it in a better light, share structure already amended

6. Stands as anyone who has come into contact with one of the shareholders will attest

wwaswas

6. Stands as anyone who has come into contact with one of the shareholders will attest

Where is shaun these days?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Preparing to sell up may make sense

1. MTB beyond peak already?
    2. Get ready for sale to those who deny 1
    3. Cut back investment to save ST cost to flatter numbers pre sale

Scenarios only, not suggesting this is what is happening 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

On balance, you/we have to stand back from these issues.

This place is a communal forum and nothing more. The Mag and STW is the place we come to chat and stuff, but really it’s not ours and whilst we are sick of the issues already noted we can’t do anything about them.

Moaning maybe interesting, venting positively cathartic yet our influence on the Bods is minimal.

Logging issues and passing information over may help, may not, but the issues are well documented so all we’re doing is repeating ourselves. And that’s just a bit dull.

God help us but we may have to do a bit of work in the meantime… 😆

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve not been on much recently but noticed yesterday at home how biblically slow it was. That, thrown into the fact that I’m constantly being told my phone is infected when clicking into certain threads on here but never any other side just means I’m less likely to even bother in future…

whitestone
    Free Member

God help us but we may have to do a bit of work in the meantime

Heathen! He said work! Stone him! Stone him!

RustySpanner

Pretty much back to normal now.

Cheers folks!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Pretty much back to normal now.

Cheers folks!

Actually going pretty fast at this precise moment – faster than it’s been for a real long time.

Firefox on Windows 10 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Actually going pretty fast at this precise moment – faster than it’s been for a real long time.

very snappy – would be interesting to know what you have changed recently.

or are the Russians on their break ?

martinhutch

JiveHoneyJive has clearly been delivered bound and gagged to the gates of the Vatican as promised. 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

I find that if it’s running slowly and I log out.. then log back in again it speeds it back up…
    Or could be a coincidence..

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The newest versions of Firefox (Quantum) load the trackers etc LAST and as such everything is much faster 🙂

leffeboy

oh it’s very fast on Chrome now – nice

dragon
    Free Member

Funny how they have time to update Grit.cx despite the forum not having had a post for 2 months. Grit looks really good, but the forum is deader than a dead thing. Yet how much money & resources goes into running it?

AlexSimon

Whatever was broken is now fixed! Valleylujah!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye, pretty rapid right now.

Don’t touch anything else!

Update guys get a full pardon*! 😆

*on condition.

Mark

The tech guys are reporting a bit of breakthrough today.
    Some code was doing some pretty awful resource hungry and totally pointless things. They’ve fixed it now and the server load had dropped to a magnificently low level now. I’m not saying they are at the hugging stage yet but it’s pretty close 🙂

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I’m not saying they are at the hugging stage yet but it’s pretty close

I guess you can release them from the dungeon now Mark.. 😈

seosamh77
    Free Member

still going strong, nearing group hug time! 😆

Mark

Holy shit, this is fast 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

It is aye, almost loading before I click the button! 😆 well done guys, top job!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Holy shit, this is fast

Famous last words…..

Right up there with “Watch this for a wheelie”, “what does this button do?” and “It’ll be fine, what’s the worst that could happen?

nickc

wow!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 175 total)

The topic ‘Shoot the update guys?’ is closed to new replies.