Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Shoes for flat pedals – 5:10 still the winners?
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Out the game for a while – looking for some good/grippy shoes for flats.

darksideby182

Yep have a look on go outdoors they have some for £52.
    https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15902245/five-ten-freerider-eps-bike-shoe-15902245

b45her
    Free Member

i have freeriders and shimano gr7 shoes, find the shimanos better in every way.

marksnook
    Free Member

Specialized 2fo 2.0 here, grippy, just the right amount of stiffness but dry out so much faster than my old 510s did

jaketurbo
    Free Member

The bog standard freeriders are like the bottom of the range five tens… Middling grip, fabric that gets waterlogged etc.

Look at the impact pro for max grip and stiffness or the freerider pro for a good trail shoe. Both dry well and are class leading.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Freerider Pro are £100!

jaketurbo
    Free Member

Good shoes though… I’ve got the impact pro and the freerider pro. Both have lasted really well, had them since they first released in the UK so over a year.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Had all sorts but my current favourite are Shimano GR5. No good in the wet as they’re summer thickness but super trippy and comfortable. Also look good off the bike.

RustySpanner

Used Giro for a while now.
    Really rate them, comfy, dry out ok, grippy and they seem to last for ages.

Shimano can’t really be beat if they fit, but I find them very narrow and a bit plasticky.

Never understood the love for 5:10’s. Fine if someone gives you a new pair every couple of rides but they are the definition of ‘shonky’.

ta11pau1

Following.

I’m in the market for some flat shoes, got my eye on a pair of Northwave Tribe shoes.

colournoise

O’Neal Pinned Pro.

tonto
    Free Member

I prefer addidas terex as they dry out quickly, that’s important for this summer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes.

cardo

Shimano GR9 have been brill with Michelin sole.

nealglover
    Free Member

Yep have a look on go outdoors they have some for £52.
    https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15902245/five-ten-freerider-eps-bike-shoe-15902245

Had the boot version of these through winter and no issues with them at all. Don’t get particularly wet (only though the top like any shoe/boot) so no need to dry them out really.

Just ordered a pair of the shoes from GO as a “wet summer” option.

unclesomebody
    Free Member

There are some new shoes to market under the Unparallel brand. Bit of an interesting story but it’s basically most of the guys who used to be at 5.10 in California. There jobs weren’t saved when Adidas took over so they started up their own shoe company… And their shoes have taken a lot of “inspiration” from 5.10 models. I’ve not used them yet but have a pair arriving this week and am quite hopeful.

jedi

I have used Giro jacket shoes for a few years now. Love em

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Just buy 5-10’s.

Everything else is a compromise on the most important bit. Grip.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Freerider Pro are £100!

RRP £120

joemmo
    Free Member

I like the Adidas Terrex. Never feels short of grip and is genuinely weatherproof and easy to dry.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Just buy 5-10’s.

Everything else is a compromise on the most important bit. Grip.

Probably true but worth checking once in a while just in case someone has the grip sussed since 5-10s aren’t perfect

DezB
    Free Member

Those new ones Silverfish are doing look good – Ride Concepts
    I really like the womens’ purple shoes, but they only go up to an 8. 🙁

They even have flat pedal slides for £50! Makes the shoes look cheap anyway 🙂

unclesomebody
    Free Member

Re:Grip levels… (my quoting failed – sorry)

Unparallel shoes are made in Redland in what used to be the 5.10 HQ/Factory. So if you want something as good as (or better than?!?) 5.10 grip then it’s probably worth trying out shoes made in the original 5.10 HQ by the people who designed/made them originally… 🙂

Some info on MBR: https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/unparallel-mountain-bike-shoes-382959

DezB
    Free Member

Read what I wrote above… (sneaky edited!)

what if we don’t read that one either? 😆

kiwijohn

5:10’s are so grippy the pedal tears a whole through them.
    Giro Riddance was nice but not grippy enough & the uppers tore open on my second ride.
    Shimano GR9’s are grippy enough, but you can still reposition your foot. Definitely a summer shoe.
    Bit of shoe glue on the sole of the 5:10’s will see them through the winter.

milko9000
    Free Member

I find my old Freeriders (they pre-date a Pro model) almost perfect, except they’re a bit wide for my feet. Everything else I’ve used is not as nice for me in terms of grip and/or stiffness. Anybody know if the new models are a little narrower since Adidas took over, or if I’m likely to find another brand is my goldilocks fit?

joebristol

I like my couple of years old freerider elements as long as it’s not really wet weather, when they have the same properties as a sponge. Except they don’t like to let the water they’ve sucked in back out again. They can take a few days to dry out with shoe warmers in them (in the garage – they’re not allowed in the house where they’d dry better).

In the wet I have some Adidas Terrex trail shoes – they dry much quicker but the grip definitely isn’t as good.

Would like something with a 5-10 sole but a much lighter / quicker drying upper.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

What you need are Freerider pros , fit all your requirements .

wl
    Free Member

+1 Hob nob – if you ride very rough terrain and/or a hardtail, I don’t reckon anything matches the grip of Five Tens. I switched to Giro once and they were good but not grippy enough so went back to Five Ten. Just depends how important grip is. For me, it’s a must above everything else.

duncancallum

I use Vaude Moabs.

Not as trippy as my 510s but stiffer comfier and they dry.

Oh n they have velo fasteners

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Shoes for flat pedals – 5:10 still the winners?’ is closed to new replies.