Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Shoes for CX?
  • fenlander
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend some good shoes for CX? I have been wearing Sidis Megas but they are too narrow across the front. My cheapie dhb M1.0 are comfy but have limited cleat adjustment (can’t get cleat far enough forward) and can’t take studs.

Looking for something stiff, with wide toebox and take studs.

Cheers
    M.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Fudget/budget
    Or
    What we wear
    ??

fenlander
    Free Member

Ideally <150 quid but will pay what it takes to be comfortable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahh, I’m ooot.

Plenty around, they get muddy/wet and rot anyways.

tang
    Free Member

Lake Supercross wide. My friend with wide feet who didn’t get on with sidi mega loves them. Prob over budget though I’m afraid.

LS
    Free Member

Supercross may be out of budget but I bet a pair of the previous generation MX331 Cross are available for £150. Flippin’ great shoes.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I use Northwave Hammer, wide, grippy and not so stiff that you can’t run in them.

cp

I use shimano xc61. Nice and stiff, good grip in the mud and take studs. Comfy for me!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Giro Privateer… with gumwall soles…

fenlander
    Free Member

Thanks all. Lakes seem pricey, but at least put up mm measurements so you can see what you get. Absolute last resort. XC61 and Northwave Hammer look very good value, but seem all out of stock / discontinued – are there new versions?

All the LBS near here seem to have only one or two styles of spd shoes, no one seems to have a decent range, even the big shops like Evans. Is there really nowhere with a decent range of shoes that you can actually try on?

mick_r

Paul Hewitt in Leyland has NW Hammer CX specific in a few sizes for £89.

Mavic Crossmax Elite CM look interesting but not cheap.

Not been at all impressed with Lake – the Boa kept jamming, sheathing stripped and cables frayed / locked up. Sole debonded at front, and being real leather they kept going mouldy when drying (family of four racing and never had any other shoes go mouldy under the same conditions).

Ratchet closing Shimano without mesh panels have been most reliable and pretty waterproof but seems very little choice at the moment.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

cheapy diadoras (prob from CRC sales), on the basis that they’ll get wrecked. Velcro, wide, studs.

mos

I’ve been pretty impressed with my DMT Lynx 2.0. I think there’s a new model out now though.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Best thing to do is find a shop that sells a good range and try as many pairs as poss on. After years and years of wearing Shimano I recently bought a pair of Bontrager Katans which I’m really pleased with.

Highly recommend getting a pair with the option of fitting studs.

kilo

I use Gaerne for both cx and road been very happy with them over the years,CRC usually have a good stock of them

prawny

XC51N look good, I’m thinking of getting some for my winter commute. I’ve got RO58s for roadying in and they’re really comfy, but a bit breezy in the winter, and replacing worn cleats is getting me down.

ferrals
    Free Member

Anyone using shimano xc7s for cx? thoughts?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I have some Northwave Hammer CX in a 45 to sell as they were to narrow for my feet, just be aware that even the same manufacturer can change the shape of the last the shoes are made on. I have the Northwave Artic (sic) winter boots in the same size and they’re plenty roomy.

DMT MTB shoes work for me. I had a pair for two seasons, Diamante? and they were fine til the cleat mount failed, and a pair of Lynx now for 2 seasons that are much stiffer but beginning to look like the cleat mounts are going.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Shoes for CX?’ is closed to new replies.