Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shock upgrade recommendations for a heavy rider – Air V Coil? (for orange five)
  • applesandoranges23
    Free Member

Just looking for advice for a reliable shock upgrade for my 2016 orange five that I plan to do buy in the new year at some point. My weight around 17.5 – 18 stone with gear on and mainly do trail riding but I actually use my five quite a bit on the road also so I do really appreciate a shock with a good lock out.

My usual type of riding is trail,xc, I try to keep the wheels on the ground with my weight combined with my out of warranty five frame. Odd little hop now and then nothing big on the five tho. I currently run a Fox Float DPS EVOL Performance factory fitted shock with spacers added, it basically gives me a bounce and that’s about it and tbh with my weight its all I can really expect of it. I have pretty much maximum pressure in the shock, I just feel theirs got to be better options out there for my weight which will allow me to adjust it better and perform better than my current shock.

People have mentioned coil as a potential option but is it true they can’t be locked out or at least not easily? Or is air still the golden goose? What shocks would you recommend, so many options these days!

UK-FLATLANDER

The Cane Creek coils are available with a climb switch, which I believe increases both compression and rebound damping to firm it up. I think most coils have something similar.

dirtyboy

You may be too heavy for a cc coil, springs only run to 600-650lb and I regularly upset mine running at 16.5stone
    That’s heaviest spring rate available for 190×51 cc coil

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gotama
    Free Member

Speak to TF tuned is the short answer.

I’m about 100kg and had to use a 700lb spring on my Levo which limits options with respect to which coil you can use. I ended up with an online. The cane creek inline coil is also a pretty punt shaft compared the more dh orientated shocks which may be relevant given I would imagine the shock goes some way to resisting flex on a frame design like the orange. Lock out on a coil can work as well as on an air as it’s just the compression circuit I believe.

Might also be worth looking at air shock with a bigger can than the dps. I’ve always had a similar problem re pressures but the bigger air can allows you to run lower pressures, maybe an X2 or cane creek DB.

Kamakazie

I thought only the newer 5s are progressive enough to run a coil so suggest you look at air.
    You can get progressively wound coils now (MRP & Cane Creek) but not sure how heavy they go to.

RickDraper
    Free Member

You need an air shock and likely one with a small volume air can.

Gotama
    Free Member

Re my post – online should be ohlins. Punt should be puny. And I may be mistaken re the X2. Comment came from Cotic recommending the piggyback cane creek air shock over the in-line at my weight as it lets you run lower pressures due to the bigger air spring. This may not apply in the same way to the X2.

Fat-boy-fat

I weigh a lot more than you and run a DPX2 on one bike and a Cane Creek DBAirCS on the other. The DPX2 is pretty darned good but needed a re valve to get there. It has a very good lock out. The DBAir is better but its lock out isn’t good. It didn’t need a re valve either.

I’d recommend a DPX2 for what you describe but get the tune sorted first.

tdog
    Free Member

My heart would say CC inline coil but my head says air for simpler setting up

Also in similar position when time comes to hit button

chakaping
    Free Member

On a side note, I have tried a CCDB coil inline and a Float X2 on my Stage 6 – the air shock suits it better IMO.

cy

I’d echo the comments above – The DB Air CS is the better option. Runs really low pressure, and on a linear bike like the Orange you’ll have options to add volume spacers to increase the progression to give you better support.

applesandoranges23
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply I will update this thread when buying me new shock next week.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shock upgrade recommendations for a heavy rider – Air V Coil? (for orange five)’ is closed to new replies.