Shock choices for the Alps

Home Forum Bike Forum Shock choices for the Alps

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shock choices for the Alps
  • robinbetts

Ok, I’m planning my first Alps trip next summer to Morzine so I’ve been chatting recently to some people about what it’s like. A lot of people mention that you shocks take a hell of a beating in a week over there. I currently have an Orange Five Pro 09 with 140mm Float R 32s and an RP32. I’ve been toying with the idea of replacing them for the trip with something bigger and beefier, second had that I could possibly sell again after the trip (depending on cost). I’m about 11 stone and don’t ride super aggressive, but can push it at times.

a) Is it at all necessary with what I’ve currently got, bearing in mind that I don’t want to trash my lovely kit in one week.

b) If it is a good idea, can you recommend anything to lookout for in the classifieds/eBay? I was thing of probably 160mm 36s on the front?

R

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

if you want to hammer down the pleney run 15 times a day, yes, you will ruin your bike. you will ruin any bike. save your money for repairs when you get back.

if you want to go looking for singletrack, you already have the perfect bike.

toys19

Everyone seems to think that the Alps have some magical powers over anywhere else, just think of your fave steep trails but longer and with uplifts. Your bike will be fine.

Premier Icon rockthreegozy
    Subscriber

Fox 36s and a Vanilla shock would be spot on. Even better, get the shock Pushed by TFTuned.

The issue with the Alps is that due to all the uplift, you spend more time descendding and it is rough on the bike.

Fat tyres would probably be my first change mind..

Whenever I go, I usually just buy a cheap set of long travel marzocchis for my bike and sell em on when I get back.

2006 66 RC2X in 150mm might be a good choice and can be had cheap 2nd hand on ebay. Pretty solid forks that wont break whilst your there.

MrK mkII

if you want to hammer down the pleney run 15 times a day, yes, you will ruin your bike. you will ruin any bike. save your money for repairs when you get back.

i did that on my XC hardtail with 100mm 2004 fox floats and they are fine. i also felt i rode pretty damn hard (kicking my mates butt who was on a 120mm full sus). seems a little excessive to get a new set of shocks for only one week, when you could just fix what you’ve got (which i doubt will get that broken anyway)

ChunkyMTB

What you already have will work fine.

carbon337

I have a 2010 five with Coil Lyriks – its ace.

Fancy a coil shock too – ccdb or Van RC

Premier Icon stevomcd
    Subscriber

Your shock will be fine. If you really want to kit your bike out for the alps, fit DH tyres, upgrade your brake rotors and think about fitting a chain device.

robinbetts

Thanks for the advice so far. Big tyres and 203 rotors are already on the list.

cynic-al

Been fine on air shocks and forks in the Alps, I’m no pilot though. Big tyres worth it.

The alps are smooth and flat out (apparently, I’ve never been), but if its anything like our trip to Spain (which was seriously rocky and nothing like the Alps according to the other guys there) then kit takes a hell of a beating, my rear wheel is pretty much scrap, new tyres (supertacky) now look past their best, handlebar grips worn out, brake pads glazed, rotors bent etc etc.

My advice:
    Big old marzocchis (150mm RC2 Z1’s were my weppon of choice)
    Cheep and big brake disks
    Budget for a new rear wheel when you return

allthepies

A rigid fixie would be a shock choice IMO.

summitsup

standard fox RP23 rear and Magura wotans on the front. 4 years on same spec and no problems.

my rear wheel is pretty much scrap, new tyres (supertacky) now look past their best, handlebar grips worn out, brake pads glazed, rotors bent etc etc.

Did it fall off a chairlift ?

Premier Icon ddmonkey
    Subscriber

Get some 2.5 Maxxis minions or high rollers and the biggest brake rotors you can and your bike will be fine. I did a whole week of blatting down the Mega tracks with an RP23 shock and had no problem with mine. Brake power is your friend, especially once your arms pump up. And snake bite punctures get very boring very quickly if you have weedy tyres.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Shock choices for the Alps’ is closed to new replies.