Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shock Bolt conundrum
  • northernmatt

I’ve taken the linkage apart on my Dune to replace the bearing and the top shock bolt looks like this. The bottom one is fine.

New ones are £32 which is a bit steep for two bolts. If I leave the top one as it is will I die, or will I just wear out the shock bushings a bit quicker then die?

Clobber
    Free Member

find a new one from a bolt supplier on ebay for a fraction of the price

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

32?!? Try http://www.probolt.com I got an upper bolt to replace a knackered one on a second hand frame from them for about 2 or 3 quid vs the 30 plus shipping for the proper one.

amedias
    Free Member

As long as standard metric size and normal thread pitch then just get one for pennies form your friendly local hardware and fasteners shop.

I’d also be looking into why the bush has apparently been rotating/rubbing around the bolt instead of rotating as it should in the eyelet bushing.

Obviously you’re replacing them anyway but check nothing is binding/too loose etc. as you don’t want to do that to the next one as well and it’s not exactly ‘optimal’ 🙂

northernmatt

Found individual ones for £14 on Freeflow. M10x36 according to Silverfish. Most other M10 ones I can find are 35mm.

ndthornton
    Free Member

If you value your sanity offload the Dune right now.
    I had so many pivot related issues with mine it wasn’t funny.
    They are light….but they are sh*te

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d be happy with 35mm but I think you’ll struggle to pick one up in a local hardware store. If it already has issues then you’ll not want to stick a full thread bolt in, you really want the plain shank. It also looks like a fine thread M10. There’s no way I’d stick that one back in, the bushing wouldn’t last 5 mins

Junkyard
    Free Member

Mail me we have a local hardware shop that only sells nuts and they have never let me down- I wont be able to get there till late on tomorrow though

If that is a standard thread it will be less than 50 p for the bolt

Trekster

My old Kona was fitted with full thread bolts which just flatted just like that and caused play. They were also made of cheese and were quite often bent making removal difficult. I replaced with a shouldered bolt and had no more issues 😀

northernmatt

That’s the original Trekster. It was flat to begin with it’s just gained some extra grooves along the way. We have a nut and bolt supplier round the corner, I’ll go see them tomorrow. Trying to figure out what the thread is, a few places on the net seem to mention a 1.0mm thread and most bolts I can find are 1.25 or 1.50. I suspect that this isn’t going to be easy or cheap.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just measure 10 thread peaks to get the thread size. Easy to do with a tape measure. It can only be one of 3 sizes so don’t need fraction of a mm precision.

andyl
    Free Member

my concern is the bolt head looks quite low diameter. Does it fit in a counterbored hole?

oh and does it have a nut on the end or does it screw into the frame? If the former then just get a new nut to match. Preferably a nyloc.

Is this them? http://www.silverfish-uk.com/ProductDetail/8765/12654/Zero-Link-Shock-Bolt-Kit-1

Does indeed look like a non-standard head diameter with the smaller than normal allen key. Also saw a diagram showing the fitting for the other end which suggests a nut won’t work. Only other option is a bolt that is too long with a nut and some spacers that fit into the frame. But that will look ugly and could catch on something/your legs.

northernmatt

Yup, that’s the ones. It’s goes through the one side of the main upper link, through the shock then screws into the other linkage plate. The head sits in it’s own hole and the female end on the other plate doesn’t go all the way through so I can’t get a longer bolt.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shock Bolt conundrum’ is closed to new replies.