Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Shït service… Do you say something…?
  • alpin
    Free Member

Down on Brighton a day early for a party.

Went to an Italian and honestly the food, specifically the pizza, was crap….

Do you speak up and say so?

The owner seemed properly perturbed that I said that the pizza was shit.

She said that in her area of Napoli that all the pizzas were like that…. Thick dough, reminiscent of a pancake. I told her bollocks and she was seriously upset. Even the waitress (Turkish, but from Frankfurt) was on our side.
    If she had said fair enough, but she was on the defensive from the off…
    WTF. Kinda spoilt an otherwise lovely evening.

Kryton57

I told her bollocks

Kinda spoilt an otherwise lovely evening.

well, did you actually use that vocabulary? Therefore you are the master of your demise, just move on. Otherwise yes I’d have complained politely and concisely with an clear reason why I was disappointed.

weeksy

I do yes. If they’re arsey about it and we have a disagreement I then just leave. They usually offer a refund etc and I tell them not to bother, I want them to know I’m properly offended if it’s that bad

jam-bo

You can complain without being a **** about it.

mboy
    Free Member

She said that in her area of Napoli that all the pizzas were like that…. Thick dough, reminiscent of a pancake.

You may not have liked it, that’s your prerogative… My friends family is from Napoli though, he warned me in case I ever go, they do their pizza’s a bit differently there… Much thicker dough, which wouldn’t be to my taste…

Doesn’t mean you need to sound like an arse though!

MrOvershoot

Yes I do speak up, recent meal out with friends the food was fine but the service was a bit haphazard and the billing was shocking. Gave them a tutorial in how to serve/scan a room and not blame a system error on trying to charge a party of 7 for 12 main courses.

myti
    Free Member

Where was it?. I live in Brighton and it’s hard to get a really good pizza. Actually eating out is a minefield these days with lack of good staff, rising costs causing businesses to cut back on choice or quality. I feel sorry for them tbh. I now go a few select places that I know will be consistently good and if I’m gambling on a cheapish place I’ll rarely bother saying anything but if it’s a proper restaurant and expensive I would give polite feedback.

Haze

If it was properly shit service, or badly cooked maybe…but not just because I didn’t like something. I just don’t go back.

dyna-ti

I’ve only once had to complain about food and i did so after returning home and spoke to the head chef.

Large T bone, not trimmed in the slightest. Not only large amounts of back fat, but gristle too.

He thanked me for my honesty. I wasn’t nasty or patronizing about it, only suggested in the lightest terms that they should look more towards what is involved on proper French trim rather than how it came from the supplier.

I certainly would never use the word bollocks to the manager, just highlight my disappointment and if they offer a discount(Free deserts or such) that would be idea solution.

If nothing is offered then I simply wouldn’t return.

I only phoned because i was with a party and didn’t want to cause anyone any embarrassment and the fact I wasn’t paying the bill.

duncancallum

If you cant be polite in your criticism you should be questioning yourself.

alpin
    Free Member

I wasn’t arsey…and trust me, I can be a real arse when I choose to be and in this case I was being honest.

I spoke to the waitress in German, seeing she was from Frankfurt. Said that the dough was like biting into a pancake. The boss lady was seriously pissed that someone would complain. Made me think that she wasn’t used to anyone saying something. Had already ordered a bottle of (not the cheapest) wine, water, starters, so it wasn’t as if we were being cheap.

Have been to Napoli many times and never had a floppy pizza.

Made me think that perhaps a large majority of their clientele had never had a decent pizza or were perhaps too engrossed in their new nose piercing/hair (Cheesus.. Brighton sucks in all the dregs that Shoreditch can’t deal with…. It’s like Basildon, but for freaky hipsters….)

@myti
    si signore

Only went there as it looked authentic from the outside. Probably should have gone to Fatto a Mano.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

She said that in her area of Napoli that all the pizzas were like that…. Thick dough, reminiscent of a pancake. I told her bollocks

So I take it you’ve had a pizza in Napoli?
    Anyway, sounds arsey.
    For the record the worst pizza I’ve ever had was in Florence (said nowt, just paid & went, won’t be back anyway), & the best being in Gibraltar.

ads678

If food is poor, I’d complain. If I just don’t like it, but it’s cooked and served right, that’s on me.

If service is crap, they don’t get a tip.

theotherjonv

Yes, I’d complain if something was wrong, but not if I’d just ordered something badly. But you can do it without being aggressive or rude, along the lines of ‘I’m sure you take pride in the food you produce and want diners to enjoy it, but I’m afraid this is cold / a little underdone / etc. for my taste, would you mind…..’

I find it a little harder when it’s the service that is bad, particularly when the reason is understaffing and the cooks or waiting staff are rushed off their feet and hence service suffers. But unless it’s remarked on then the manager / owner / franchisee is either unaware or gets away with it. Even that’s harder now with squeezed margins, increasing costs, and difficulty in recruiting, and makes me feel bad. In some cases I’ll complain and hope for free desserts or a bit knocked off and then overtip if it’s going to the rushed off their feet waiter, it’s not their fault after all.

And – AVPN International Regulations

https://www.pizzanapoletana.org/en/ricetta_pizza_napoletana

1. The Neapolitan pizza is roundish, with a diameter max 35cm;
    2. The Neapolitan pizza presents a raised edge (the famous “cornicione”), swollen and free from burns, 1-2 cm;
    3. The Neapolitan pizza must be soft and and fragrant

alpin
    Free Member

@ dyna… Last time I complained about my food was back in August when I was in the UK and ordered a steak. It came out despite asking for it to rare. Came out with the consistency of the sole of my shoe… Last time I had to complain about that was in France.

myti
    Free Member

Not been there. I like Fatto a Mano though the pizzas can still be pretty sloppy but that is the way of most of these types of places. Too many toppings usually.

alpin
    Free Member

makes me feel bad. In some cases I’ll complain and hope for free desserts or a bit knocked off and then overtip if it’s going to the rushed off their feet waiter, it’s not their fault after all.

I’m not one to kick up… But when i do its with reason.

Said to the waitress that the pizza wasn’t awesome. Boss lady comes in and was already offended and on the defensive. Waitress offered desserts and I said that we’d take them if they were in the house. Boss lady comes back saying that we were taking the piss….

Sod it. I’m not in Brighton often enough for me to worry…. Will leave a review on Google.

Just surprised by her attitude…. Although experienced something similar with the steak. Just made me think that Gastro in the UK wasn’t used to being pulled up…. FYI, Been on the continent for the last 15 years.

Fat-boy-fat

I believe the correct response is … “it was fine”. Anyone in the UK should interpret that as “it was frickin awful”.

alpin
    Free Member

it was fine

£63.50 Bill…. £65 paid.

theotherjonv

why are you partially quoting when that isn’t what I said?

I’ll have no problems complaining (albeit in the right way) if food isn’t up to scratch, and won’t feel bad about it.  I was saying complaining about service when it’s clearly understaffing that’s really the problem is tougher, and nowadays harder still when costs are up and up and so I have sympathy for why an owner or franchisee needs to minimise staff (or simply can’t recruit on the wages they can afford to pay)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just made me think that Gastro in the UK wasn’t used to being pulled up…. FYI, Been on the continent for the last 15 years

Hmm…sounds like a dig at UK eateries in general then.
    We’ve been in Spain 3 times this year & walked out of restaurants three times through crap service.
    Same everywhere maybe?
    Get over it. It’s a pizza FFS.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Pizza = Fast Food not gastro ime.

w00dster

Hmmm, spend a lot of time in France, girlfriend is French. We both laugh about the food and service in France….it’s so appalling it’s amazing.
    We also spend 2 months in a year in Spain….hit and miss really.
    We’re over in the Lakes at the minute, just had dinner and a few beers, apart from it costing me a months mortgage, the food and service were good.
    In general I’d advise them the food wasn’t up to standard. I’d be polite and not want anything in return.
    But having spent a fair bit of time touring Italy, the Calzone is from Naples. This is the floppy sour dough based pizza. And that’s what I’d expect from a Naples based pizza place….for example….

Calzone Napoletano, Classic Neapolitan Calzone

tomhoward

So it sounds like the service was actually pretty good, you just didn’t like the food?

Shittest pizza I’ve ever had was what seemed/tasted like a cheap supermarket margherita, with a couple of slices of mushrooms on. ‘Pizza funghi’, in Zeffirelli’s in Ambleside. £15.

Drac

She is right that’s Napoli style and you acted inappropriately. Absolutely no need to speak them like that.

I can be a real arse when I choose to be and in this case I was being honest.

Yes, isn’t it when you’re had alcohol and off weed?

TheDTs
    Free Member

Suggest OP goes to a Karen’s Diner. Let us know how that goes.
    https://www.bemorekaren.com/

ton

i do, but in a nice way.

Ambrose

The last time I complained was about a calf’s liver I’d ordered. It came looking great but inside was cool and still purple. Chef came out to tell me that’s how it should be. I requested that it be further cooked. It came back a few minutes later, it was lovely.

I love offal, but not raw.

CountZero

A bunch of us did once, on my birthday. We were at a Chinese restaurant that we’d been to before, and was pretty popular. We’d booked a table, ordered, got drinks and were waiting for starters, which eventually came, but meantime other customers were coming in, orders taken and were getting starters and then main courses while we were still waiting.

In the end a group consensus decided that the restaurant was just taking the piss, we all got up said we’ll pay for what we’d had, and walked out, just as the mains started to appear.

We’d been waiting over an hour after the starters had come. we went to another place in town, had a great meal in the time we’d waited at the other place.

I felt bad, but all my friends, and there were eight of us, possibly ten, (it was quite some years back), all said don’t worry, the fault was entirely down to the restaurant.

thols2

I believe the correct response is … “it was fine, in parts”.

FTFY.

kayak23

The owner seemed properly perturbed that I said that the pizza was shit.

dyna… Last time I complained about my food was back in August when I was in the UK and ordered a steak. It came out despite asking for it to rare. Came out with the consistency of the sole of my shoe… Last time I had to complain about that was in France.

I’m not one to kick up

🤔

poolman
    Free Member

I only go to a few regular places, the odd time somethings a bit off, slow if busy maybe, but there’s so much credit in the bank from good experiences. Doubt I d say anything unless it was really bad. I really feel for hospitality businesses they ‘ve had a torrid time and it’s getting worse.

Loyalty is 2 way, I like to think they look after me. I used to work in catering it’s really hard work.

Watty

The boss lady was seriously pissed

Being drunk in charge of a restaurant is a serious offence (buddy🇺🇸)!

nickc

Like @dyna-ti I’ll complain if the foods not well made (regardless of whether it’s to my taste) Part of the reason I go to restaurants is that I get food prep and made by folks who know what they’re doing, so over seasoned, under/over cooked depending on how bad might get a mention. I’ll never complain to the server, always the manager and I’ve tipped at restaurants where service has been excellent but the food not that great.

but complaining that Neapolitan pizza base is doughy is sort of like complaining that the tartar you ordered appears under-cooked.

butcher

I think even the word “complain” is a bit strong in this context. You would complain if the food is undercooked and liable to give you food poisoning, or if it’s mouldy. You don’t complain if it’s not to your liking. You’ll often be asked how the food was, which is a fair opportunity to give some honest feedback and it’s up to them if they take it on board, they don’t need to agree with you.

Whether it applies to anyone in this thread or not I don’t know, but I find we have a very odd culture around restaurants that appears to be a throwback from darker times. It’s as if many people go purely for the experience of having personal servants to boss around, inflating their own sense of self-importance. You get to know a lot about people and how they treat others when you go for a meal with them. There are people I’ve been with who I’ve not looked at in the same way since.

If you don’t like the food just go somewhere else next time.

alpin
    Free Member

OK…. In the fresh light of day I can see that my op was a bit aggressive…. Yeah… Probably the alcohol, but at least I could vent on here and not ruin the evening out with the GF.

However, I was polite in the restaurant. Said that the reason half my pizza was left uneaten was because the dough wasn’t cooked through. You couldn’t even pick up a slice without it breaking off. The boss last didn’t really want to hear it.

And yeah… Steak at some gastro pub. And another steak in France (2018). Each time asked for it rare. Each time the steak was over done…

DrJ

MrsJ sent back her fish in a restaurant that had been lauded to the skies by Hairy Bikers. It was the first time in <mumble> years of knowing her that she’s ever done that. The chef insisted that the fish was not undercooked and was supposed to be that way, so she had fish and chips instead. The waitress was actually OK about it but we won’t be going back!!

revs1972
    Free Member

I once waited over an hour for food in Wetherspoons* ( fish and chips).
    When it came out it was clear it had been sat under the hot plate for a while. The thing was rock hard. I called the server over, and as I tapped the rock hard fish on the plate , I told him “ I can’t eat this shit mate”.
    He agreed with me and said “ to be honest , I wouldn’t eat the food in here either”.
    I thanked him , got a refund , and got a kebab on the way home.

*keep it classy 😂

tabletop2
    Free Member

Made me think that perhaps a large majority of their clientele had never had a decent pizza or were perhaps too engrossed in their new nose piercing/hair (Cheesus.. Brighton sucks in all the dregs that Shoreditch can’t deal with…. It’s like Basildon, but for freaky hipsters….)

This is the bit that I think makes you sound the most of an arse

tjagain

If food or service is poor I will say something but I will also say if the food or service is good

Raw pizza dough can be tasted. If it tastes of raw dough then its not properly cooked and I would say so. Thats not a question of not understanding how they like to prepare things. Its objective not subjective if the dough it not cooked properly

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.