Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Shipping to the Isle of Man
  • bencooper
    Free Member

So I want to get an Alleweder to the Isle of Man – one of these things:

TNT quoted £750! There must be a more sensible way to get such a thing from Glasgow to the IOM – does anyone have any contacts who do such a thing?

Thanks 😉

boltonjon

The Irish Sea is the most expensive strip of water around the UK

You’d be better of accompanying the item as a foot passenger

I’d offer to take it with me when i travel back home next month, but i doubt that it would fit in my estate car 🙁

bencooper
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer – it won’t be ready to ship for a few months anyway 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Hire a van and make a weekend break of it?

bencooper
    Free Member

The ferry website also quoted £750 for a return van trip!

Might have found a courier who can take it – it’s big but light so can sit on top of heavier stuff.

Jamie
    Free Member

Only one option then….

bencooper
    Free Member

I was considering some industrial-strength gaffer tape to seal up the holes, and a paddle.

boltonjon

That’s a good point

The riding on the Isle of Man is brilliant – think every type of UK riding compressed into 37 miles of hills (I can put you in touch with some good riding buddies if you want?)

If you are booking a van on the Steam Packet, book it as a car

They rarely check, but they’ll only charge you more if there are tools in the back.

Fill the bike with your funny little contraption and some bikes and you’ll be fine (done it plenty of times)

If you book a month before sailing, you’ll get it for £220 or less

As i say – the riding is brilliant! 🙂

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

At work we use Greyville for most large consignments to the Isle of Man. They are based in Skelmersdale and seem pretty reasonable.

Dr_UpGrade
    Free Member

Can it, or will it fit on a pallet? If so then I think you will be looking in the £100-200 range… (I only know as I was looking at shipping my bike over there to sell to my brother). I think the company I was looking at was also out of skelmersdale, or around there anyhow. Let me know and I’ll see if I can find the details if you like…

sandwicheater

Give Paisley a Freight a call. Will do bike, canoes and pallet size stuff.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Hey Ben – Feel free to give me a yell in the office with some rough sizes and weights and I’ll ask our logistics guys to get a quote from our couriers if you like.

Richie@silverfish-uk.com

crapjumper
    Free Member

The graylaw freight group in skelmersdale . I used to drive for them and they’re the best for the I.O.M . Used to be 01695 729101 but it’s worth a google .

Jamie
    Free Member

Give Paisley a Freight a call. Will do bike, canoes and pallet size stuff.

I think the issue is the crossing, and the cost therein, rather than finding a willing volunteer.

scotroutes

You can book a van on as a private vehicle – and hence save several hundred pounds – but they make you sign a declaration that you are not importing anything.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Graylaw that’s what I meant not Greyville .

bencooper
    Free Member

Wonderful, thanks all 😉

amplebrew

There are quite a few people advertising transportation to and from the IOM on the local websites.

It might be worth while driving it to Heysham yourself and then meeting someone with a van who is prepared to take it over on the boat for you.

Have a look at manx ads or manx.net and just put ‘van’ into the search box.

I also had a large dog cage brought over to the IOM around a few months ago and after getting a quote from Graylaw and Manx Independant, Manx Independent were the cheapest.

We had the dog cage initially sent from Trans K9 in Castle Douglas, Scotland to the Manx Independant UK depot of Edmundson Haulage, 8 Prospect Place Prescot Road, East Pimbo Estate, Skelmersdale, WN8 9QD using K9’s usual courier for £48 and then just paid Manx Independent separately.

Manx Independent charged me £50 for a standard sized pallet from their UK depot to the IOM.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Shipping to the Isle of Man’ is closed to new replies.