Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shipping Options US to UK
  • unknown
    Free Member

I’ve tracked down a set of replacement dropouts I want, only one shop in the US seems to have them. They’ll send the dropouts (priced at $50) anywhere in the US for $8 but to post to the UK will cost $55.

That seems steep to me, especially if I get stung for tax on the full value including shipping as I have done in the past. Does anyone know of an alternative – one of those companies that “rent” you a US address for example?

If not I’ll just have to suck it up as they appear to be literally the only place in the world where they’re available.

andyl
    Free Member

USPS should only be a couple of $.

There is a shipping method being used on ebay now where the items are sent to a company that then forwards on to other countries and you pay the import duties before hand so save the £8 royal mail charge.

Might find some info on the ebay site.

JoeG
    Free Member

There are several companies that do what you want. No experience with them myself, though.

USA box
    USAmail1
    USglobalmail

I remember seeing threads about this in the past on STW, so a search may turn up others experience using them.

ds3000
    Free Member

If you wanted to ship them to me in NY, I’ll take them to the post office and pop them in a baggie for you, it’s just down the road.

You can Email me at davidsmith3000 at gmail dot com if you like.

Gordymac
    Free Member

This is in interesting thread for me. I’ve been looking at Wickwerks cyclocross chain rings from the USA which I think initially are reasonably priced but by the time postage is added to the Uk the price seems ridiculous.

They are wanting $72/ £45 postage.

Would these companies avoid import duty or could I still get stung when it gets here?

Is there anyway around import duty? Parcel marked as a gift?

wwaswas

Is there anyway around import duty?

Parcel marked as a gift?

Fraud might work, yes 🙂

creamegg
    Free Member

item marked as warranty works. For legal reasons I did not do this when I ordered some bits direct from Straitline in Canada. $7 p&p only 10 days (4 weeks quoted tho)

unknown
    Free Member

ds3000 just seen your post, that would be great if you could. I’ll email you later.

ds3000
    Free Member

No probs, just drop me an email….

lardman
    Free Member

They’re not from ‘Crosslake sales are they? Mountain cycle drop-outs?

Just ordered some, and my sister (who lives in US) is mailing them back on to me. The prices quoted were daft.

unknown
    Free Member

Indeed they are. Hope they’ve got some more left as my bike budget has been frozen until I sell my flat…

honourablegeorge

andyl – Member
    USPS should only be a couple of $.

There is a shipping method being used on ebay now where the items are sent to a company that then forwards on to other countries and you pay the import duties before hand so save the £8 royal mail charge.

Yeah, I fell foul of that – those fees don’t show up when you bid by phone. They’re calculated at 20-25% for me, but for most stuff sent here, you don’t get charged (anything under $50 is exempt). EBay don’t see it that way.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shipping Options US to UK’ is closed to new replies.