Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Shipping container (big metal thing)
  • rockymerlin
    Free Member

Thinking of getting one for outside the house as a man cave. Anyone got/ use/had one?

wwaswas

My dad had two of the smaller ones and was very happy with them. His neighbours less so.

ffej
    Free Member

Used them plenty of times. We have a few at work for additional storage about the campus.. mate lived in one for a month (in Iraq) a few years ago..

Not sure I’d want one at home though.. ugly as..

J

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kevj
    Free Member

A pub near South Shields and right on the coast used one of these as an outside kitchen.

They clad the outside with halved logs to give a log cabin effect. It worked rather well.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Most of em Not as secure as you think .

Teetosugars
    Free Member

They can look pretty good…

http://www.reestore.com/product-reetainer.html

But lie up there, I’ve lived in one for many a month while away on works trips..

properbikeco
    Free Member

had to buy a few in last job

a brand new one was around £1500 kitted out with breakers, lighting and decent security. This was around 2005 when metal prices were through the roof

Northwind

My brother rents one, the landowner’s rather cunningly buried some of them and planted grass over them, they’re hobbit-shipping-containers. Stops them getting so hot in summer, though probably promotes rust.

<edit- forgot>

They all have extra locks welded/bolted to the outside as they had some break-ins with the original ones, I think they’re just designed to be secure enough for ships/secure storage yards.

woody2000

My hoarder neighbour has one in the drive, looks bloody awful tbh. Thankfully we can’t see it!

BenjiM

We have 2 joined together and underground as a cave. For maturing cheese.

rockymerlin
    Free Member

Interesting….. I’m sorely tempted, theyre a bargain too, I’m gonna have to pretty it up a bit. I think I’m going to add some extra security too.

sbob
    Free Member

I think I paid £800 for mine.
    Be aware that no matter what locks you have in place, a thief can always just cut through the sides.

core

Thread resurrection!

I currently rent a small unit/workshop to store my (motorised) trials bike, rally car and associated tools/spares, but it’s £1200 a year, and long term I need to save some money, plus it’s 10-15 minutes from home. Oh, and I’m selling the trials bike.

So I’m looking for an alternative, live in a cottage on girlfriend’s parents farm, but no really suitable buildings available.

So, considering a shipping container, as would be secure enough (though I could upgrade it easily), could stick it around the back easily (pending permission….) and I reckon a 205 plus work bench would fit ok. Could modify it for ventilation & use generator for electric.

So any thoughts? Not really expecting to work on car in there to be honest.

andyl
    Free Member

I am very tempted to get one instead of shed so when we move we can just have it picked up and moved.

I am wondering how we go about getting someone to transport one and how much though!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I would like to make a house out of them 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We used to buy 10ft long ones, for work.

Basically one standard 20ft long one buy that had been damaged so had its middle cut out.

Proper cut and shut job.

I think they were £1000 delivered but that was over 10 years ago.

takisawa2

We sent out an email to the Scout group parents, asking if anyone had access to one we could site at a sailing complex, for our canoes etc, & were given a brand new one. (£3-4k for a new one). 😕

They used to have one for bike storage, at Torrent Walk campsite, near CyB.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

They are useful and not that hard to get delivered (as they are a standard load) but do watch the security side, they are very easy to get into if you know what you are doing.

avdave2

I slept in one recently when working at Silverstone. Each 40 ft container had 4 rooms each with a double bed a transverse single bunk and a wet room. They keep one set there permanently and bring in more for the Grand Prix.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

anybody been to Wahaca on the South Bank? thats made of em.

http://www.wahaca.co.uk/2012/05/the-wahaca-southbank-experiment/

kayak23

BenjiM – Member 
    We have 2 joined together and underground as a cave. For maturing cheese.

😀

hora
    Free Member

They clad the outside with halved logs to give a log cabin effect. It worked rather well.

I was thinking just that.

It’d fit REALLY well in the space where I’ve chopped down our huge old greenhouse and current shed stands.

Thing is- theres NO chance you’d get it down the side of the house towards the back 🙁

globalti
    Free Member

Freezing cold in winter and sweltering in summer.

You can pick them up cheap in Africa:

Stoner
    Free Member

A friend was working on a shipping container business and told me they cost around $1000 each, were worth about $800 in scrap and the rented them out for $1 a day on ships.

They are amazing inventions really.

wwaswas

theres NO chance you’d get it down the side of the house towards the back

There was a program on the telly where they cut one apart to fit down the side of a house and then had it welded back together on site.

Crane over the house is the other option 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

They are commonly used by sailing teams as workshops, easy to move around as / when the team visits different places for events. Generally kitted out with electricity, long workbench and storage racks. As above they are very cheap these days. A mate used two to store all his furniture in when his house was being rebuilt.

Milkie
    Free Member

wwaswas – that container is on Teetosugars link which is actually that guy’s designer shite… I mean site. 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Cool, eh? I have an idea as to how to make them not

Freezing cold in winter and sweltering in summer.

🙂

wwaswas

ah, that link didn’t work for me Milkie just get a page error.

scud
    Free Member

If you are thinking of staying or working in one much, you’d need to insulate properly, v.cold and real problems wih condensation. FIL has them for workshops at his quarry.

stumpyjon

Yep condensation is the biggy. Security, cutting through the sides, probably more difficult than cutting through a brick wall. Locks may be more of an issue. Ours has a shielded lock which would make attacking it a pain. There’s not much that is properly secure if the thieves have tools and time. I remember a builders merchants getting done next to a place I worked years ago, they just drove a JCB through the rear brickwork and then took their time to empty the placer.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Shipping container (big metal thing)’ is closed to new replies.