Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shimao Zee Clutch mech slow to shift?
  • 5thElefant
    Free Member

Another instalment of my 1×10 build questions…

I’ve got the bike built and took it for its first test ride. Shifting was beautiful, no dropped chains despite the lack of a chain guide.

Then I remembered I hadn’t turned the clutch on.

Going up the cassette (changing to larger cogs) is fine. Going the other way isn’t. Now it takes 10s+ to shift, or won’t shift at all.

Am I missing something here? Or is it just a case of taking it apart and backing off the clutch? Seems a bit crap.

banks
    Free Member

Try a new cable :s mine wasn’t slow to shift per say but it was harder to shift but a proper click then clunk. Got a SLX mech on now which is silky smooth.

IA

Going up the cassette (changing to larger cogs) is fine. Going the other way isn’t. Now it takes 10s+ to shift, or won’t shift at all.

Am I missing something here?

Yup. No problems with 10sp zee here, on two mechs (after I killed the first).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    5thElefant
    Free Member

Try a new cable :s mine wasn’t slow to shift per say but it was harder to shift but a proper click then clunk. Got a SLX mech on now which is silky smooth.

New cable and outer came with the zee shifter.

It shifts beautifully with the clutch off, so I can’t see how it could be a problem anyway.

Northwind

Definitely something wrong. TBH I can’t see how the clutch would cause the symptoms, worth backing it off to see what happens (it’s quick and easy) but I don’t think it’ll fix it.

Is it trying to shift, but just not making it? Or does it not move at all?

5thElefant
    Free Member

It tries to shift, so you get the racket of the chain side plates rubbing on the cog, then, eventually clunk. Changed. Or you get bored and do the old two-down and one back up.

Disengaging the clutch fixes it, so it’s reasonable to assume backing the clutch off will fix it. It is odd though. You’d think it would work out of the box and I can’t think what could be setup wrong to only cause an issue with the clutch is engaged.

I’ll give it a go at lunchtime.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shimao Zee Clutch mech slow to shift?’ is closed to new replies.