Shimano Zee on AM bikes

Home Forum Bike Forum Shimano Zee on AM bikes

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shimano Zee on AM bikes
  • Premier Icon alfabus
    Subscriber

I’ve just run one for 2 weeks in the alps on my covert (1×10) – I’m still alive, and so is it 🙂

No idea about relative weights, but the clutch is good, as is the mega short cage.

Make sure you buy the right size for your cassette, they’re not adjustable like saint.

Dave

Liftman

Yup, just fitted a 1×10 setup on my Alpine with Zee shifter & mech, works well the shadow plus does stop the chain slapping about as much, weight wise it’s prob about the same as SLX

Premier Icon alfabus
    Subscriber

oh, I fitted mine with an slx i-spec shifter. I might swap it for an XT one, because I didn’t realise that the SLX shifter doesn’t do multi-shifting on the finger, only the thumb.

Dave

GW

how does a brand new product hold up? you might want to wait a little longer to get a better idea

” uk prices and weights for both saint and zee

Saint:
    Brakes, £195 (302g, rear hose, calliper and lever)
    Rotors, £65 (203mm splined only. 173g)
    Chainset £230-£240 (68.73 or 83mm. 919g or 931g)
    MX-80 Pedal, £60
    Rear mech, £140 (280g)
    Shifter, £50 (123g, 114g i-spec)
    Front hub, £70 (32 or 36h, 20mm. 216g)
    Rear hub, £120 (32 or 36, 150×12, 142×12, 135×12 or 135×10. 355g for 135×10)

Zee:
    Rear mech, £70 (no adjustable angle and no bump stop. 250g)
    Rear shifter, £35 (no multi-release)
    Chainset, £110 (68/73 or 83mm, with 38tooth ring. 906 or 938g)
    Brakes, £145 (311g front, hose, calliper, lever, pads)
    Front hub, £45 (32 or 36h, 20mm. 228g)
    Rear hub, £55 (32 or 36, 150×12. 363g) – £50 (32 or 36, 142×12, 135×12 or 135×10. 350g)”

Premier Icon shaley
    Subscriber

Do you have the weights of the 2013 SLX kit?
    Are you running the 11-36 rear mech?

GW

that’s a copy and paste from another forum.

I personally wouldn’t touch 10 speed for an mtb

Premier Icon shaley
    Subscriber

Any particular reason?

Premier Icon shaley
    Subscriber

Is anyone running the new Shimano Zee on an AM/Enduro bike?

How does it hold up?
    Is it heavier than SLX?

Pics would be great 😀

Thanks

I_Ache

Don’t question GW he is correct, that is all you need to know. Now go and get some 7spd because 9spd is crap and doesn’t work.

Premier Icon catfishsalesco
    Subscriber

I put some 10 speed zee stuff on me mates meta (11-36 cassette, shifter, mech) seems as well made as the 9 speed SLX stuff on my bike, although the shifter doesn’t seem as well sealed to the elements. It has multi release on the downshift. Shifting is crisp enough, I thought there would be more resistance with the clutch on than there was. Certainly seems much quieter at the back, the clutch stuff does seem to work as advertised.

GW

plenty reasons shaley

weight
    price
    reliability
    durability
    chain length requirement
    gear range (1x 10 = not enough, 2x 10 = too much)
    maintenance frequency

being just some of them

Just to resurrect a thread – does anyone have comparative weights for the zee and old style slx crank arms (not rings etc JUST the arms)

andyrm

Yup – running Zee on my Edison.

Got the 4 pot brakes and the clutch rear mech (wide range version), with an 11-36 cassette and 36t chainring.

Shifter is an XT iSpec to keep the bars a bit tidier.

Been incredibly impressed with brakes and shifting.

Do it!!

Scamper

Not got the figues with me, but my 665 slx cranks 170mm were something like 650g and only about 30g heavier than the `normal’ SLX versions. I believe the Zee are about 815g with the single ring, so a fair bit heavier.

do they come with the blanking things so you cannot see the bolt heads like saint do?

radoggair

plenty reasons shaley

weight
    price
    reliability
    durability
    chain length requirement
    gear range (1x 10 = not enough, 2x 10 = too much)
    maintenance frequency

being just some of them

just plainly naming big words. I’ve used 7, 8, 9 and now on 10speed. Reliability is exactly the same, weight is lighter (new xtr), durability has been pretty good apart from front brake which needed replacing and xtr pedals which came off axle. Gear range is absolutely fine. Compard to 3×9 then its practically the same but less. Maintenance is clean after ride, oil and go so same as other stuff. Chain length requirement = really. stupid point IMO and price, yeah its a little steeper but so is the rest of the world.

And finally yes, i will go to 1×11 when the time comes

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Zee on AM bikes’ is closed to new replies.