shimano zee

Home Forum Bike Forum shimano zee

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • shimano zee
  • Rickos

Yup. I’ve got a set on my stumpy Evo. Barely any weight increase over XT too.

jedi

Got a zee front brake to replace my bent xt brake yesterday. Loads more power and modulation over my XT

covertbaz

Purchased some recently to replace some Hope monos and I’m impressed thus far

rs

You should try going from avid elixr’s to a set of Zee’s 😯

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

rs – Member
    You should try going from avid elixr’s dragging your feet on the floor to a set of Zee’s

FTFY

prezet

Going from a 2 pot (XT) to a 4 pot (Zee) I’d be stunned if there wasn’t an increase in power!

jedi

The xt were better than moto6 and v2 from hope

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Just to be awkward. I’ve got Saint M810’s (which I believe are pretty much identical to the new Zee’s) and XT’s on another bike.

I think the XT’s are as powerful and a bit sharper.

XT’s are brilliant brakes and can be had for about £70 an end if you shop around

torihada

I’ve been a Shimano user from day one and was the only rider to do so in my group: everyone else were using Hope. At the time my Shimano XTs (08 brakes) weren’t as good as the Hopes (mainly Tech 4s). Interestingly the majority have now migrated to new Shimano brakes; XT & SLX. I think mainly because of the new designs (much better lever designs), great reliability & remarkable stopping power, but mainly the price. When you can get a full set of SLX brakes (from Germany) for just over £100, you’re unlikely to get better brakes at that price.

gonzy

OP and everyone else who have got a zee brake…what rotors are you using?
    i’m thinking of getting a Zee front and an SLX rear setup for my bike. i’ll be running 203mm at the front but can i still use my existing hope (non-floating)rotor or will i need to change it?

Premier Icon timmys
    Subscriber

Not a dig, but I think it would be very helpful if Jedi’s three word reviews (and video blogs actually) made it clear which products were paid for and which are not.

It’s hard to get much meaningful from them if you don’t know if choice of kit is due to preference or freebies. eg. recent swap from Mavic to Hope wheels.

Premier Icon Sundayjumper
    Subscriber

I’ve got Tech X2 and I’ve never been that impressed with them. I’ll switch to XT when the right deal comes up (at the right time).

timmys – Member
    Not a dig, but I think it would be very helpful if Jedi’s three word reviews (and video blogs actually) made it clear which products were paid for and which are not.

It’s hard to get much meaningful from them if you don’t know if choice of kit is due to preference or freebies. eg. recent swap from Mavic to Hope wheels.

POSTED 16 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

As long as Jedi is the type of guy to give an honest opinion, which I think he is, whether he paid for the kit or not is irrelevant.

creedy

Gonzy- i’m using the hope 203 floating with Zee on the front. have to get the set up spot on with the floating rotors so the knuckle doesn’t catch. So without the floating bit, should be fine. the rear is a different story!

Also, I’ve seen Jedi give honest opinion on stuff he’s been given on his blog. He also usually says if he’s been given it or not. He’s usually very polite about faults though.

Premier Icon welshfarmer
    Subscriber

I use a 203 mm icetech with a Zee on the front and a 160 normal rear disk with a deore caliper. I still find I am over braked at the back but finally feel I have enough power up front!

gonzy

thanks Creedy.
    i’ve currently got a 183mm rotor on the rear with an IS mount and although i know i can add a few washers to the SLX caliper to make it fit i’m going to get the correct IS to Post adapter and 180mm rotor so i dont have any fitting hassles!!

Premier Icon curiousyellow
    Subscriber

Where are you getting a pair of SLX for just over £100?

gonzy

merlin are selling them for £109 for the pair
    CRC, Tweeks and wiggle are selling them individually for between £52-55.
    rosebikes are doing them for £50

Premier Icon Sundayjumper
    Subscriber

All the usual places. For a start, Wiggle & CRC both list them for £52.49 each end.

Unless you’re being totally unrealistic and expecting that price to include rotors, mounts, somebody coming to your house to fit them for you, a blow job and a cup of tea afterwards ?

Scamper

Swapped from SLX to Zee – ultimately more power, but more importantly the Zee has way better modulation. Running them with standard XT R76 discs. Makes no difference but without bolts a front/rear Zee is 303/321g, Deore 281/298g and SLX only a few grams lighter than Deore.

creedy

Gonzy- Yeah, i had a real head scratch with the rear on the 183 rotor on a 180 adaptor. had to angle the washers to fit. as i had the cup and cone washer off my avids it made it easier. I did find the modulation a hard thing to get used to after my on/off slr avids.

gonzy

just placed my order for a zee front and slx rear.
    i’m going to wait for them to arrive first to see what adapters i need. i definatley need the rear adapter but my current front brake is a hayes 9 so i’m going to see if a can fit the zee using the post mount adapter that came with the hayes

Premier Icon curiousyellow
    Subscriber

Cheers gonzy.

gonzy

curious yellow i placed my order with CRC.
    they have a discount code which makes a full set of SLX brakes cheaper.
    at the moment they are £52.50 so its £105 for the pair…add the CRC voucher thats on their homepage (£10 off for any purchase over £80) any you’ll be paying £95 for the pair!! 😀

jedi

I bought it since bending my XT front lever riding a skatepark at night on way home from the pub. Why would paying for it or not make a difference to a review?

slowrider

I give Jedi all his free kit and he still calls me a ****. Well, a UST valve once, but that’s not the point…

richmtb – Member
    Just to be awkward. I’ve got Saint M810’s (which I believe are pretty much identical to the new Zee’s)

Identical apart from the completely different lever and the slightly different caliper.

Rickos

Saint lever has the lever throw adjust and maybe sparkles a bit more. The Saint caliper has a little bit of machining and some more sparkle, but that’s it for the differences between Saint and Zee, is it not?

slowrider

he’s referring to the saint m810 ie the older one. very different levers

torihada

…..and ceramic pistons in the new saints.

soobalias

jedi called you a ust valve, harsh dude

Rickos

slowrider – OK, I’m not down with Shimano’s numbers and years and that.

torihada – I think Zee has ceramic pistons too.

torihada

Rickos – Member
    torihada – I think Zee has ceramic pistons too.

You’re quire right, but there’s no pretty, shiny gold bits on the Zee.

I just like the way he crashes on the way back from the pub…probably pissed…just like I do.

jedi

who doesnt 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘shimano zee’ is closed to new replies.