Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Shimano XTR M980 pedal problem- Stiff NDS pedal
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has come across this problem before…

My XTR 980 NDS pedal frequently become very stiff at the pedal-axle interface (cleat engagement is fine). I have taken it apart, replaced the small ball bearings, properly regreased, properly tensioned the bearings/ tightened the nuts several times and each time it is fine for a ride or two before becoming stiff again.

Does anyone know what might be causing this and how to over come it?

Thanks in advance!

wwaswas

not sure on this but could precession be causing the nuts on the pedal spindle to be tightening over time if you haven’t got them locked up properly?

DanW
    Free Member

I can only think that as the pedal body is turning, it is somehow tightening the NDS nuts but I have payed attention to making sure both nuts are correctly tightened with no change to the stiff pedal a ride or two later. There is a good chance I am doing it wrong though! I have been adjusting the first nut (nearest the bearings) so the slack is just taken up and everything can spin freely,then tighten the second nut to firmly hold the first in place. I forget the exact torque but no more than 4 or 5Nm (whatever the instructions say) on the second nut. The one thing I haven’t done is use any Loctite- I suppose this might help???

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XTR M980 pedal problem- Stiff NDS pedal’ is closed to new replies.