Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shimano XTR M960 chainrings. Any alternatives to Middleburn or genuine XTR?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

I don’t want to use XTR chainrings as they’re bloody expensive. Usually go for Middleburn ones because to honest they seem to be the only other choice out there. Having real trouble sorcing a set of all three, so was wondering if there’s a bargain I’ve been missing anywhere?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Blackspire?

jockhaggis
    Free Member

I use blackspire, work very well. Been using them for a while now on 2 bikes and they seem very good for the price. Bought from CRC.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

Middleburn here – and I’ve 3 used ones currently attached to a 960 chainset that I broke a couple of weeks ago…

dingabell
    Free Member

Just looked on CRC at the Blackspire ones and they seem to be selling for about £125 for a set of three. The Middleburn ones (when they’re in stock) are £70. Maybe I should buy a new XT M760 chainset for £90 from Merlin and be done with it? It looks a bit dated but probably does the job ok. Or, I’ll have to wait untill I can source a set of Middleburn ones? Can’t really justify spending over £100 on chainrings for an old scuffed up crank. Probably hate buying chainrings more than anything else. Cost loads and add zero percent bling to the bike.

captaindanger

I have a used set of middleburn and new middle ring I don’t need, let me know if you might be interested in them

michaelbowden

TA Specialties do them I think.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

How much for said rings, guys? And in what condition?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got three chainsets for sale, all 9 speed, all 175mm all good ring condition.

M760
    M770
    M970

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Onzadog, with postage they’re prolly too much for me, but hit me with the prices anyway.

Cheers

sillyoldman

Blackspire ones are terrible – wear as fast as the stock rings despite apparently being 7075.

Pretty sure I’ve got some Middleburn ones spare somewhere as my old 960s have been relegated to SS duty so no longer need 3 rings nor the ramped middle.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Is there some etiquette things here? Anyone want to give me a price for these bits – ?

sillyoldman

I’ll dig them out and get back to you.

Cheers,
    Dave.

br
    Free Member

Is there some etiquette things here? Anyone want to give me a price for these bits – ?

if you’re not in the ‘club’… 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I am in a club, but I am not allowed to talk about it….

Onzadog
    Free Member

No, it’s not an etiquette issue or anything personal. I just simply forgot to revisit this thread to see if anyone had been interested in what I said.

M970 XTR 175mm with new bottom bracket and fitting tool £160 posted.
    I’m also happy to consider taking the rings off and keeping them as spares then just selling the cranks/bottom bracket if someone wants to play at single speed. I’ve just replaced like for like with shorter cranks.

M770 XT 175mm comes with new bottom bracket. £90 posted. Again, happy to keep hold of the rings as just sell the cranks/bb. I’ve just replaced like for like with shorter cranks.

M760 XT 175mm comes with new bottom bracket. £70 posted. At that price, it’s not worth messing about with rings, it can go as it is.

All rings are used but still working fine, under load, with a new chain.

email in profile.

M760 175mm

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Thanks Onza – I will give you a shout if I feel sufficiently flush!

GfS

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XTR M960 chainrings. Any alternatives to Middleburn or genuine XTR?’ is closed to new replies.