Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Shimano xtr 1×12 hope pro4 compatibility’
  • tonup
    Free Member

So i just purchased a shimano 1×12 set up and a set of of hope pro4 evo hubs for my next build
    Will it fit a standard hope shimano free hub or will i need a special 1×12 effort ?
    If so does anyone have a link to the part ?
    Thanks

kelvin

Sorry, you are screwed.

otsdr
    Free Member

Bad luck, I’m afraid. Hope are not (currently) licensed to manufacture Micro Spline freehubs.

Stan’s & Hope Respond To Shimano Micro Spline Licensing Frustrations

PJay
    Free Member

Can you sell the XTR cassette & run a SRAM?

kelvin

I’m looking at a SunRace MZ90 cassette to run on a standard HG freehub.

Akers

I’d send the hubs back, and get some DT Swiss with micro spline freehub.

martinhutch

As above, send the hubs back and get DT Swiss 240s.

mattyfez

I don’t think I’ll ever buy anything shimano again after this..

Utter arseholes. Other brands manage to do 12 speed without making you buy thier own hubs.

Why don’t they just make a shimano bike and stop pissing everybody off?

benpinnick

I’m looking at a SunRace MZ90 cassette to run on a standard HG freehub.

Doesnt work – at least not with a Shimano chain. Works fine with a wider chain like a SRAM.

mattyfez

That said.. (puts on tin foil hat) Sram being a US company and shimano Chinese, maybe trumps trade war has influenced this move?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Shimano are Japanese.

scotroutes

Other brands manage to do 12 speed without making you buy thier own hubs.

Other brands are already making micro-spline hubs.

bsims
    Free Member

I read somewhere they have licensed it to OEM hub manufacturers only.

mrmo
    Free Member

Other brands manage to do 12 speed without making you buy thier own hubs.

and Sram introduced XD completely incompatible with the existing standards, and how many BB “standards” have they managed in the last few years!

All manufacturers come up with new ideas, get used to it.

kelvin

Doesnt work – at least not with a Shimano chain. Works fine with a wider chain like a SRAM.

Thanks for the info. I only use SRAM chains on Shimano cassettes usually anyway.

I’ve looked at the Eagle NX HG fit cassette as well… but it’s “a bit” heavy.

All manufacturers come up with new ideas, get used to it.

New ideas are great. People aren’t even complaining about a new freehub “standard” … just that Shimano aren’t licensing it out to many hub manufacturers, for whatever reason.

simondbarnes

Thanks for the info. I only use SRAM chains on Shimano cassettes usually anyway.

You should try a shimano chain on them Kelvin, much nicer shifting

kelvin

They don’t seem to like me… where as the cheapest solid pin SRAM ones never fail me.

joebristol

I’ve always found sram chains nice and reliable and don’t rust much. With KMC I’ve experienced snapping and with shimano I’ve found they get a lot more surface rust.

mattbee

Have tried XTR 12 using both Shimano and SRAM GX cassettes.

The GX worked from a shifting point of view although was a little noisy under load most likely due to the chain.  The shift speed on the XTR cassette is what really sets it apart from SRAM though. Lightning fast whether under load or not, up or down. I tried shifting into an easier gear midway through a standing effort around a switchback corner and it just did it, easy as pie.

I’d go as far as to say that if you aren’t using the Shimano cassette and chain you might as well just use SRAM and be done with it as you are missing the biggest benefit of the Shimano 12 speed in my opinion.

stumpy120
    Free Member

XTR vs GX

Seems a fair comparison….

mattbee

More a case of trying to illustrate the point that the shift quality of the Shimano setup is more of a point of difference than quality of materials, lightness etc and that I think until other brands are allowed to produce the compatible free hubs I’d either just stick with SRAM or make sure I had compatible hubs for the Shimano cassette otherwise you are losing the biggest benefit of the Shimano setup.

kelvin

Yeah, you can’t beat Shimano cassettes… if that wasn’t the case no one would care about this.

steve_b77
    Free Member

So i just purchased a shimano 1×12 set up and a set of of hope pro4 evo hubs for my next build

Well researched 👏👏👏

mattbee

If you really don’t want to get rid of the Hope maybe just buy the cheap 12 speed Sunrace and use it until Hope are able to release a Shimano compatible freehub.

I was lucky as I have Roval wheels so DT Swiss free hub.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Shimano are normally pretty good when it comes to standards, but this is uncharacteristically shitty of them to do. I love Shimano stuff, but this will make me think twice about upgrading to 12 speed XT.

Sort it out Shimano.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Shimano xtr 1×12 hope pro4 compatibility’’ is closed to new replies.