Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shimano XT M8000 shifter – downshift paddle sticking
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve got an XT 11 speed shifter and when I change into a lower gear the paddle regularly sticks and doesn’t return to its original position. I’ve squirted it with GT85 and it’s improved a bit but not much.

Has anyone had this happen and any idea why? The gears behave perfectly and the cables are good. The cable position doesn’t change at all when you manually flick the lever back.

Thanks.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Try slackening off the clamp bolt a little.

chaos

Interesting – I find the M8000 shifter a lot stiffer than previous Shimano kit (SLX and XT) but just thought it was something to do with being new and a stiffer clutch mech. Worth a try I expect.

BearBack
    Free Member

It’s not catching on your brake lever body is not?

singlespeedstu

Have you removed the shifter display window by any chance?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Shifter display is still on there and it’s definitely not touching the brake lever (although you’d be surprised how long it took me to check that!).

I’ll try the clamp, thanks.

singlespeedstu

Just try slacking off the screw that holds the shifter window on a tad.
    I removed the window, refitted the screw and the return lever wouldn’t work at all.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Did you get anywhere with this?

My non display window type thingy ispec M8000 shifter is doing the same. I’m reluctant to open it up unless I have to.

Tried GT85 through any gap but it’s still the same.

scotroutes

I’ve seen it suggested that forcing steam through the shifter will clear out any gunk that might be making it stick, whereupon a very light oil can be dripped in.

I haven’t tried this and have no idea what possible damage might be caused if the steam was too hot.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

If steam was to melt the innards, could this be used as a valid reason to upgrade said shifter?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT M8000 shifter – downshift paddle sticking’ is closed to new replies.