Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Shimano XT M8000 Brakes vs XT M785 user reviews
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Anyone using the new Shimano XT M8000 Brakes that had previously had the XT M785 brakes?
    Is there much of an improvement in the new M8000’s?

chrisr1983
    Free Member

I have. Difficult to do a real comparison though because I changed rotor sizes too at the same time.

There does seem to be slightly better modulation though. It feels like I can control how much I want to brake, a little better, almost like the braking force is applied more gradually over a longer stroke. Unfortunately that could be down to setup, rotor size, different (newer) pads, etc.

Only thing I can say for sure is I believe the m8000 looks better.

If I can be arsed I’ll swap rotor sizes over the weekend and try and do some more scientific testing.

If you’re wondering whether it’s worth the upgrade – I don’t think so if you already have XT785

Chris.

sillyoldman

Modulation definitely improved, and reservoir much sleeker.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tracey

We are running both and apart from them looking better we cant tell the difference

zelak999
    Free Member

I’ve bought a new frame and a few other bits (11speed XTR shifter, rear derailleur and an XT 11-42t cassette) and wondering weather to use my old XT M785s or buy the M8000 for the new machine.
    Probably sensible to use the M785s but my heart keeps saying to upgrade as I may need the old ones for an n+1!

justatheory
    Free Member

I’ve got M8000 on my FS and SLX M675 on my hardtail. I can’t tell the difference.

The new i-Spec II makes for a tidy setup and they look nicer IMO.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Any updated reviews on M8000? And are they the same pads as my current M615 would take?

davosaurusrex

I also can’t tell the difference, slightly disappointingly.

mintimperial

Yes, got both. Can’t tell much difference to be honest. Good brakes both, had no real problems with either, although my 4yo set of M785s are finally starting to get a bit worn out now.

benpinnick

Also of the can’t tell any difference camp. They do look nice though and the dimpled lever is a nice touch. I’d probably still have the Zees instead though if the price was competitive.

kayak23

Been running the m785s since they first came out, just gone m8000.
    Really, really powerful, but not really any more than before.
    Defo look sleeker though.
    Unfortunately it seems I’m starting to have a bit of fade in the rear despite a bleed or two.
    Fantastic brakes, when they work. Wouldn’t particularly say there is much difference though except aesthetic and dimples.

deviant
    Free Member

M785 user here, great brakes and picked up for peanuts once the M8000 series came out…plenty of people run them on DH bikes, massively reliable too…there has been the odd thread on here about the new M8000 versions being less than reliable?

Braking is somewhere I want total faith in the product!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Shimano brakes seem to work to a similar standard regardless of model name and just gain chrome bells and whistles. My Wazoo cane with M3XX’s which are bottom of the range, and CRC doing for 40 quid or less for a full set. Now they’ve bedded in they’re every bit as good as the M770 XTs or M800 Saints when rotor size is discounted. They even have reach-adjust which is far more useful than bite point.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Do the 8000 have bite point adjust?

itsmygame
    Free Member

I also run both and would say there’s hardly any difference. I’m not sure I’d even be able to tell on a blind testing. Hope this helps

thebadabing

I have m8000 on one bike and the m785 on my hard tail.

No real difference, m8000 do look better and I like the new ispec mount, also m8000 unreliable and have had warranty replacements- still not right though, if you search this forum you’ll find others with m8000 issues.

patagonian
    Free Member

I have both – can’t tell the difference. As mentioned above the M8000’s look slightly better but that’s about it really.

duir
    Free Member

Watch out for the new ispec ii standard, your new xtr shifter won’t fit on the M785 lever. To get around this I just bought the M8000 levers to use on the M785 caliper so saved money.

stcolin
    Free Member

Just ordered some new SLX from Merlin Cycles. The new M8000 looks nice, but I’m pretty sure they’re not twice the brake at almost twice the cost.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m an addict of SRAM drivetrain so iSpec mounts mean nothing to me. I had XT785 on my FS and M675 on my HT, but new bouncy bike came with Guide RS’s. Frankly, I’m sold on the brakes. Being able to matchmaker it all is a bonus. I always preferred Avid feel but lost patience with Elixirs and moved to Shimano. The brakes were good buy nowhere near as effortless to bleed properly as the faithful told me. I wouldn’t be rushing to buy any new brakes anytime soon but if a nice set or two of Guides popped up at the right price I’d probably ditch Shimano at this point for bar clutter reduction.

mintimperial

Do the 8000 have bite point adjust?

Yes.

ti456neal
    Free Member

I’m having awful problems with both my m8000 and m9020 trail brakes. Both have very inconsistent bite points and no matter how many times I bleed them, in all the different ways the Internet suggests, and after loosing both front and rear brakes at the Afan enduro last weekend, I’ve given up and got some SRAM guides cheap just to see how it feels to have reliable brakes.
    Such a shame as my old xtr m985 trail brakes were brilliant for years until I killed a lever at BPW.

scotroutes

I’m still waiting to see all these crappy M8000 brakes pop up for pennies on the Classifieds 🙂

zelak999
    Free Member

I bought the m8000 in the end. Used them for about two months then sent them back to CRC as they seemed to be really spongy despite bleeding etc.
    CRC sent them to Madison and eventually got a refund.
    I bought some Hope E4s and they are awesome, loads of modulation, loads of power. 🙂

gravity-slave
    Free Member

About to buy some new brakes and really fancy M8000’s. Been very happy with my old XTs.

Feedback from 2x LBS is good, reviews online are great but I have read a few posts like above. Just wondering how widespread issues are – what’s the verdict?

P-Jay
    Free Member

gravity-slave – Member

About to buy some new brakes and really fancy M8000’s. Been very happy with my old XTs.

Feedback from 2x LBS is good, reviews online are great but I have read a few posts like above. Just wondering how widespread issues are – what’s the verdict?

I’ve had the M785 brake for about 6 months now, at first they had the dreaded random bite point thing and frankly I was ready to throw them in the bin and go back to my Deore M615s because they worked perfectly for years without issue. Shiny cover aside and ‘of dubious worth in the UK’ cooling fins on Day 1, the Deore was by far the better brake.

But, firstly I bled them again using the Shimano procedure which involves adjusting the bite and lever point and with Shimano oil and they’ve been perfect until 2 weeks ago, I took Jnr for his first ride at BPW and ended up brake-dragging down top to bottom following him and I’ve glazed the fronts, so much for the fins – but I don;t really see that as a fault, it’s a lot to ask from a set of pads. I’ll change them when I remember and I’m sure they’ll be fine.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Got both on me 2 bikes, can’t feel any difference between them, same size rotors.

Great brakes.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT M8000 Brakes vs XT M785 user reviews’ is closed to new replies.