Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano XT & Icetech squeal – will bleeding fix?
  • nickdavies

As above, all other things being equal can bleeding fix the worlds noisiest pair of brakes? Fluid probably 18months old. Done all the usual cleaning bedding new pads etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably not, cleaned the rotors too?

nickdavies

Old pads were squealing, on inspection they were totally shot down to backing both ends – not sure how after about 6 hours riding but hey ho. Superstar sintered pads went in, and were howling like a banshee within 90 minutes. Stripped the brakes down, cleaned everything, completely cleaned pads & discs in hot water then iso and sanded everything. Bedded them in again and were OK for a big day last weekend, then towards the end of day 2 same again, no power and squealing. Cleaned again and today same thing, after 90 mins they’re terrible. Coming from both brakes. Back starts it first normally?

Looks like i’ll be going back to the shimano pads at £lots.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Same issue here.

Had shimano XT’s with original pads, they were done (not down to backing or anything, but done nonetheless). Put in some uberbike pads on a fwe recomendations and within one ride they were howling unbearably. Took the pads and rotors off, cleaned with IPA, sanded the braking surface off of both and then baked both pad and rotor in the oven at highest temp for half an hour. Noise is now siginificantly reduced – think whining as opposed to full banshee – but still not as good as they should be.

Next stage for me is to get some shimano pads and stick the rotors in the dishwasher. Bed in again and hope for the best. Unless anyone has any suggestions before I spend >30 on a set of pads?

paladin

Did you bed them in? Doing that stopped mine howling, and they’re normally very quiet now

jimw
    Free Member

Have you checked the alignment recently?

chainslapp
    Free Member

I know a lot of people on here get on with non genuine pads, but I tried without success (and yes I bedded them in) with a non gen set and couldn’t get them to stop howling. Replaced with Shimano and stopped immediately and haven’t made a noise since. XT M785 brakes with Shimano non ice tech rotors here though.

trevron73
    Free Member

i used a commercial oven cleaner , speak to a chef at a bistro/restraunt/pub – i heated up the rotor and pads in the oven then sanded the surfaces with wet and dr using the cleaner -wear gloves its hot and caustic .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT & Icetech squeal – will bleeding fix?’ is closed to new replies.