Shimano XT Freestroke Adjuster Q

Home Forum Bike Forum Shimano XT Freestroke Adjuster Q

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano XT Freestroke Adjuster Q
  • jedimaster

I have the m775s and the free stroke adjustment screw doesn’t do anything at all lol

Premier Icon dannybgoode
    Subscriber

I have some M785 brakes and have been playing with the freestroke adjuster.

My question is – how far to unscrew it? It seems that it will unscrew all the way out.

Over what range is the adjustment (and does it even do anything!)?

Cheers

Danny B

Premier Icon offthebrakes
    Subscriber

I have both M775s and M785s and in neither case does the free stroke adjustment do anything at all.

Round about halfway out is the limit.There’s minimal adjustment from it (and I do mean minimal), so get your pads set up with the wheel out, then use the adjuster to fine tune it. If you look closely, you’ll see the lever moving in/out a tiny bit as you adjust it.

rondo101

It does do something, but it requires the brakes to be set up perfectly to make much difference. And then it’s not much.

When you pull the lever, it actuates a cam to then drive the main piston. Unscrewing the freestroke screw means this cam moves diagonally before then moving to the vertical alignment it takes when screwed in.

What this means is that if the caliper is centralised & the bite point early into the lever stroke, when the screw is unscrewed the lever needs to move more in order to produce the same movement as when it’s screwed in. I think the idea is that this would give you more modulation.

Mister P

If you bleed the brakes with the free stroke screw wound out then it does make a difference when you wind it back in.

Premier Icon dannybgoode
    Subscriber

Excellent – thanks all for your help.

When (if) I next bleed the brakes I will do so with the adjuster out but in the meantime will leave alone!

Cheers

Danny B

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT Freestroke Adjuster Q’ is closed to new replies.