Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shimano XT disc brakes problem.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Bought off here and… the hoses too short. Where can I send them without having to wait for 2 weeks to get them done? Merlin overbooked sadly. Help, please!

nickc

Do them yourself? Honestly It’s not difficult. If I can swap hoses and bleed Shimano brakes, then anyone can.

Hairychested
    Free Member

No time due and/or experience. I don’t mind paying if done properly. I’ll pay you 🙂

carlphillips
    Free Member

really, do them yourself as Nickc suggests, its a piece of cake and will take all of 10mins for each end..surely you can spare that?
    learning to spanner and the achievement from doing a good job is all part of MTBing for me and it helps on trailside bodges!!

if you really can’t be bothered then surely your LBS could do it for you? shouldn’t cost more than £10 an end but TBH it’ll take more time to drive them there than to do it yourself…

Hairychested
    Free Member

My local bike shop wants £12.99 for each hose plus 1hrs’ labour – £50. No way! I’ve just rung Mountain Trax, spoken to Chris and they’ll do it.
    Why not do it myself? Hoses, oil, time and patience – all missing. Besides, if a BS earn a few quid I won’t suffer whilst I might contribute to the local economy a tiny bit. Besides, I’ll have a good reason to go there very soon 🙂

richc
    Free Member

Where abouts are you? as that might help people recommend somewhere if you want a LBS to do it.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m down in Hampton TW12, but as Mountain Trax are so nice (and one of them is present on the forum IIRC) they’ll have my money. Thanks for the offer anyway.

theotherjonv

buy the hoses and the replacement olives and inserts if they don’t come as part of the kit, come to me in Guildford and I’ll show you how to do it.

Hairychested
    Free Member

The CRC don’t have them in stock whilst Mtn Trax will do it for not much more than cost. Besides, why not support the shop so strongly recommended by C_G?

carlphillips
    Free Member

hairy, berlimey £50!!!!!!!! 😯 im surprised they have any business! i’d feel a right **** charging someone that much for a simple task, the other guys sounded much more like it…why not pop around and watch how it is done so you can do it next time?
    BTW my brakes cam ewith bleed kit spare olives etc didnt yours?

theotherjonv

don’t get me wrong, the boys at MT are all good guys and if you want to support a LBS I’d be more than happy to recommend them.

I just reckon that if there was such a thing as the perceived difficulty to actual difficulty ratio for bike maintenance, fitting / bleeding brakes is about as high on that scale as you can get. Maybe they’ll let you watch if you take some jaffa cakes and then next time you can be self sufficient.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cant understand why people dont bother at least trying to fix their own bikes. If something is broken then I will at least have a go at fixing it, and I think almost every time i have its all worked out ok.

You might learn something new if you give it a go, and it turns out Shimano are about the easiest brakes to re bleed

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT disc brakes problem.’ is closed to new replies.