Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Shimano XT brakes on an Orange 5
  • jam-bo

-1 for getting the hopes working.

sell them as they are, be honest and someone will take them off you hands for a suprisingly good price. I sold a set of M4’s that needed a serious amount of work and bought a set of XT’s instead for pretty much the same price.

That was about three years ago and I havent had to touch the XT’s since.

popmatik
    Free Member

Just got of the phone with the very friendly chaps at Hope. I’m going to do some maintenance on my brakes. He mentioned lubing the pistons which i’ve never done so maybe i’m just poor at looking after my brakes. I’ll report back with how it goes.

Anyone else do this?

mattjg
    Free Member

Nope not done that, probably should. Do the pistons need to be removed?

If you decide to dissassemble the callipers, bear in mind the bore cap on X2s winds inwards for removal (towards the centre of the calliper with a righty-tighty move), not outwards.

I ****ed up an X2 calliper doing this wrong, as it’s reversed to older model Hopes. I lefty-loosened it with all my might because it wouldn’t come out, which actually, was tightening it. Doh.

Check the exploded diagrams on the Hope site to make sure I’m not talking nonsense. It was a little while ago.

(I have stripped and rebuilt Mono Mini and M4 callipers successfully in the past, and have some X2s that now deserve some attention).

popmatik
    Free Member

Apparently you can just squeeze some silicon grease on them and pull the brakes on and off to get them lubed.

He recommended this stuff: http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/219/hopesilgrease/hope-silicon-grease-30ml.html

It goes under the name of hunters silicon grease and it’s what plumbers use apparently.

I’m inclined to think I knacked up the bleeding process when I didn’t tip the lever 90 degress at the end of the process and squeezed. He mentioned that and there is a video that describes the process.

I missed that step. I could be a dick 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

You’re not a dick. Wanting your brakes to work nicely is most un-dickish.

I’ve not managed to get a good bleed on my Tech X2s yet, they may need a seal change I think, I’ve not had time to do it (should probably send to Hope). My Race Evo X2s are good. Light, pretty, and do all the stopping I need for the bike they’re on.

popmatik
    Free Member

The chap on the phone didn’t mention seal changes to me, but perhaps he could tell I should just give them a bit of love first 🙂

Out of interest what pads do you run on yours?

Thanks

mattjg
    Free Member

probably Hope sintered, not sure.

If you put organic on for the summer, it rains. If you put sintered on for the rain, it dries up. That’s how it is.

popmatik
    Free Member

Cheers Matt. I’ve got hopes on too… Think they are sintered as well.

I’ve just been out for a quick ride to test the feel again so I can describe it a bit better.

Basically I can pull on the front brake and it feels like there isn’t anything there. Eventually it stops me but I would say it take a second or so. I’ve just adjusted the biting point to all the way in so the bite kicks in a little earlier. It has helped make the brakes feel a little more reactive but it still seems like I can ride along if I pull the front in with just one finger.

Del

contaminated pads/discs i’d wager.

popmatik
    Free Member

Hey del.

I reckon you might be right. Would cleaning the rotors sort? I’m thinking of hoping them to a 183 on front so if I changed pads at same time I guess that would let me know!

popmatik
    Free Member

Well I just have to hold my hands up and say it looks like I was saying bad things about Hope and was completely wrong.

I just took of my front rotor and cleaned it with acetone (it’s all i had to hand) and then hot soapy water and gave it a rinse. Took my pads out and they had a glaze to them. Sanded them back to the good stuff and refitted everything. Did a quick bed in and my brakes feel how they should again… there is bite there and I can’t ride forwards when I’m holding the levers.

I even noticed that I have a 183 rotor on the front already!

With all this in mind I need to start taking care of my bike more. Any tips for a tool set up that I need for maintaining the bike greatly appreciated. I think i’ll get a workstand to work on it.

Cheers for everyones help. You’ve saved me some cash. Sorry for dissing Hope :o)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers for everyones help. You’ve saved me some cash. Sorry for dissing Hope :o)

Bugger, was betting on some cheap brakes

popmatik
    Free Member

Ha! Sorry to disappoint. I’ll just look after these ones… They look far nicer than anything else so I’m really pleased they now stop me.

mattjg
    Free Member

brilliant. today you changed your life, you can use the LBS when you want to not because you have to, and you can buy second hand frames and build them yourself too

key tools, you may have most:
    * a set of normal hex keys
    * a set of small spanners
    * a set of the ‘3 in a star’ hex keys, these are brilliant because usually the size you need next is already in your hand (but they don’t always fit in tight spaces)
    * a cable cutter
    * a chain whip for removing cassettes
    * cassette lockring tightner-upperer
    * a BB removal tool

A workstand is a good idea, plus space to use it of course.

Other bits and pieces, get when you need them.

brassneck

183 is not equal to 180, as I fear I have found by going to XT from X2 Tech for many of the same reasons. I’ve packed out the mount but there is still a ‘ting’ noise from I think the rotor when I lean on the front climbing or at speed.

Going to sub in a real 180 and see if that cures it. I didn’t even know it was 183 till I had a really good look.

brassneck

PS re: Tools – Lidl did a set of ballended Hex keys when they do their ‘tool cycle’ that are absolutely excellent, and 4.99 for a full set.

righog
    Free Member

STW in “Happy Ending” BOMBSHELL 😀

popmatik
    Free Member

Thanks Matt that’s great info. I’ve always been a tinkerer but it’s time to get serious 🙂

Is buying a set like this a good way to go?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-bike-tool-kit-18-piece/rp-prod40997

Or best to build up from individual bits? I need an ISIS crank remover for getting my race face cranks off… think that’s included in there.

mattjg
    Free Member

Don’t know. I never bought a kit, perhaps I should have!

Love this thread, it has a special redemptive Friday feel-good factor.

popmatik
    Free Member

Ha! Yeah I really do feel like i’ve been saved :o)

On another random thread… I’m thinking of changing my stem size. I rode a smaller framed bike the other day and could throw it around a bit more. Would shortening the stem size help that feeling a little on my 18 inch orange? I’m 5ft 11.

I was thinking of going Hope 50mm 0 rise…

Del

well done sorting your brakes! 😀
    shorter stem probably won’t hurt you. I’m 5’10″andabit riding an 18″ too. think my stems a 70mm. i’m also running easton vice bars @ 711mm IIRC.

roverpig

Bugger, was betting on some cheap brakes

Me too. But I’ll grit my teeth and say well done to popmatik for sorting it out. But only because it’s Friday you understand 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

short stem wide bars, try it, you are unlikely to go back unless you are really skinny with narrow shoulders. I ride 750mm to 800mm, stems in the 50mm or 60mm ish.

(711mm isn’t wide …)

popmatik
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

I’m actually really skinny Matt 🙂 so maybe wide bars won’t be required? With a shorter stem would I get a twitchy front if I kept the standard bars that come with the five?

mattjg
    Free Member

I dno what the standard 5 bars are, but short stem ‘narrow’ bars would feel odd to me. Very fast steering I would expect, and a bit unstable.

I’d say get some wide ones (760 maybe), ride them a bit, then cut them down if you don’t get on with them. But you may well like them.

popmatik
    Free Member

Oki dokes. So a few bits of buying to do. Maybe I should start with the tools first before I start throwing a load of money at new parts…

ononeorange

Good one popmatik. Nice bit of honesty too.

mattjg
    Free Member

nah all you need for messing about with bars and stems is hex keys, and maybe a T25 Torx driver if you have SRAM inconveniently specced treasured bits. dive in.

I mess about with bars etc a lot so only use 100% lock on grips, so they only take a moment to take off

a DIY store pipe cutter works very well for shortening alloy bars (and fork steerers), I believe you’re,meant to use a hacksaw for carbon

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT brakes on an Orange 5’ is closed to new replies.