Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano XT bleeding issues
  • kraken2345
    Free Member

So I’ve got a pair of xt m785’s and after a year off the bike I’ve just tried giving them a bleed. Is there a trick people finally figured out to get around this as I remember it being a problem when they came out.

I tried using the cup and just flicking the lever, tapping the cable etc (lever elevated in regards to callipers and turned so parallel to ground). Also tried with a tube attached to calliper and forcing fluid through by braking.

Brakes still need almost priming before use. Goes almost to bar on the 1st pull but then fine for the 2nd? Any help is appreciated, Cheers.

scotroutes

Syringe from the caliper into the cup.

kraken2345
    Free Member

Crap, can’t find the syringe that I used to have

piesoup
    Free Member

I found only opening the nipple on the caliper a fraction. Instructions say 1/8th of a turn. I was opening it far too much to start with and was getting nowhere.

kraken2345
    Free Member

So you opened the calliper nipple only slightly and then just pulled the lever to force fluid out as normal?

qwerty
    Free Member

Yak

Either gravity like Marshy above, but tidy into a tube and bag, or syringe from caliper to lever is fine. Both need plenty of lever flicking at the end once the bleed nipple is shut and you still have the cup on the lever.

piesoup
    Free Member

So you opened the calliper nipple only slightly and then just pulled the lever to force fluid out as normal?

Yes, then just bled as normal. I must have gone through about 100mls of fluid before I realised my error. I was surprised

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT bleeding issues’ is closed to new replies.