Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shimano slx lever a bit slow to return.?
  • weeksy

On my rear brake the last 20% of return travel is a bit sluggish, just drags a bit. But gets there. However if you’re in and off the brakes it can feel a bit like there’s air in it.
    Common thing?

If so, any options?

If no options, what’s a good brake to replace with now days? I like and want something that’s easily bled as I’ll have to take it apart anyway to sort the internal routing through frame

fossy

Have you thought about bleeding them ? 10 minute job.

weeksy

Yeah did it earlier, got a bubble out but didn’t help with the return overall

coatesy
    Free Member

Most likely to be the piston sticking in the bore, not really viable to strip, clean, and service, and still likely to re-occur from my experience. Another less likely possibility is the lever pivot sticking, a clean and lube is worth a try.

weeksy

I threw some squirts of lube at the top end. Didn’t help.

Looks like a post Xmas shopping trip for new brakes then lol.

ogri
    Free Member

Exact circumstances with an XT rear some months ago.Bled and lubed to no affect but the brake worked so kept using it.A few weeks later i noticed some fluid at the rear of the m/cylinder so did what you’re contemplating.

coatesy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say it’s a common issue, but we’ve had a few through the workshop in the past. A replacement lever’s probably the cheapest option (pick any one from the Shimano range), though you could end up with a Trigger’s broom situation if the calipers succumb to the infamous leakage (i’ve been there, 2 levers, and 4 calipers in 2 years. Now running Hope race X2, been faultless for 2 years, much as my black/gold mono mini’s were since the time Hope superceded them with silver ones).

endomick
    Free Member

I’ve had this issue with old and new brakes, a few squirts of silicon spray on the master cylinder seal fixed it, but if squirting all the seals didn’t help or the bleed, treat yourself to some Hope’s, too many leaks and inconsistent feel with shimano in the past, Hope’s are the first thing I put on a new bike.

weeksy

Which Hopes? Shortening hoses ok as I’ll need to remove caliper or lever end for routing.

I do prefer mineral oil based setups though I admit. But Hopes are pretty.

That said, I’m sitting here wondering if I should buy a Whyte G160/170 and remove the issue lol.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shimano slx lever a bit slow to return.?’ is closed to new replies.