Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano RS505 hydraulic hoods – uncomfy
  • fatmax

I got a Canyon Inflite last year, which I really like.  Its got RS505 hydraulic STI hoods and they’re particularly uncomfy. It’s from the bobble on the inside of the hoods, where I think the hydraulic reservoir and cable poke out. It’s got to the point that I can’t get my hands comfy anywhere on the hoods. The brakes themselves are superb!

Does anyone else find it the same, and does anyone have a solution e.g. gels pad under the rubber hood and on top of the bobble? Any suggestions welcome! Many thanks, Fraser

astormatt
    Free Member

Personally i don’t find them uncomfortable, but they are the only things i have ever ridden so have nothing to compare them too.

There is a lot of hate for them if you look online.

Short of replacing them, i can’t really see how you can make them more comfortable. I also agree, the brakes are superb.

genubah
    Free Member

I recently got the RS405, which are virtually identical in shape to the 505s, and I find them very comfortable. In fact, I find them at least as comfortable as the Apex they replaced. I have them set up higher on the drops, with the bobble against the top bends, covered with just generic cork tape.

My impression was the hate @astormatt mentioned was mostly related to looks, with everything else being comparable or improved over the 685s.

joebristol

I’ve had 3 rides on them and it does seem an odd bit of design. Brakes are brilliant but the shifting is a bit iffy in my opinion. I previously had Sram Rival 10 speed and their shifting was much better – but the hoods were much less comfortable.

I find if you ride fully on the end of the drops then you miss the bump on the inside of the shifter entirely or if you sit further back you miss it too. I can see how it could get annoying definitely. I think the lump is the bleed valve.

fatmax

Thanks folks. I’ve bought some gel pads from Wiggle that I’ll put under the hoods cover, and see if that works.

tomhoward

If that doesn’t work, try a bar with slightly more flare. It moves the lump further round, out of the way of your hand.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

I have the 685s in my commuter bike which are great. Had a hire bike with the 505s while on holiday. Initially thought they were quite comfy but they weren’t great on a longer ride.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

I have these shifters too and the di2 ultegra versions on my nice bike. These are far more uncomfy in my opinion and I agree with joebristol that the shifting doesn’t feel great. I am constantly fettling with cable tensions etc and I find that after a couple of weeks they are shifting not too great and require some work. They do brake well though but could do with more lever throw as they bite a bit too quick for my liking, even with the hope rx4 calipers recently fitted. They do make me realise I should have saved longer and just gone di2 on the winter bike too!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano RS505 hydraulic hoods – uncomfy’ is closed to new replies.