Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shimano replacement via Madison
  • rascal
    Free Member

Out on the roadie today and my Ultegra cranks cracked on the driveside (can’t post pic as simple!). Stopped at some lights, within 2 pedal strikes I heard a crack and my right foot is on the piss. Pull over to discover the crank arm has a series of cracks and arm has twisted as it’s split across the back. It’s a known fault apparently. They’re out of warranty at 6 years old but Madison have replaced the same model cranks at the same age for someone else. Is it a case of hope you catch someone in a good mood on a Monday morning? I have pics etc – what’s my best approach for a good outcome…ie replacement cranks?

wheelsonfire1

In my experience the best approach is through your local bike shop, especially if it’s a Shimano service centre. They should have a good relationship with Madison and be able to sort it. If they do sort it then perhaps use them to do the re-fit? Goodwill works both ways!
    Good luck, at least it failed at low speed and not honking up a hill.

endomick
    Free Member

There’s loads of these failures on the tinternet, definitely a known issue, some say its a geographical issue, certain climates and conditions don’t have anywhere near as many failures, I think peak torque has a YouTube video on it, finger crossed for the warranty claim, good luck.

bobodaclown

Sorry to read that.
    Will be interested as I have to do the same this week as well, mine have come apart as well on the drive side.
    Will let you know how I get on, eager to see how you do as well.

rOcKeTdOg

hope and pray they have a replacement in stock (they haven’t btw last time I looked, maybe in april) but 6 years old and the warranty is for two years for the original owner so if they do replace (more like give the shop you return it by a credit) then I’d go buy a lottery ticket too as It’ll be your lucky week

rascal
    Free Member

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/shimano-crank-failure/?image=1&type=gallery&gallery=1&embedded_slideshow=1

Rocketdog – guy in this link had his replaced and his were 6 years old too – exact same model. Not sure what the criteria are but surely if they replace a set that are well out of warranty then they should replace all but I’m sure that’s not the case. No product should ever do this unless they’ve been seriously abused. Knowing my luck they’ll tell me to p*ss off!

rOcKeTdOg

as the article you link to was from 2020 I think you’ll find supplies are a little different in 2022

I’m also guessing working for bikeradar might have something to do with it being replaced, but hey you’ve got nothing to lose by asking. Madison will want you to go via a shop though (unless you work for a popular cycling website)

superstu
    Free Member

6 years! I get that it’s a known issue but it’s so far out of warranty and has had a decent lifespan for a relatively lightweight part?

Never any hurt in asking but I’d be amazed in a time of massive shortages if they decide out of goodwill to replace a part that’s lasted three times it’s warranty period.

rascal
    Free Member

Superstu – yes it’s way out of warranty and I’m not really expecting anything TBH. It’s the same timeframe as the guy in the attached article, though as Rocketdog points out he works in publishing so who knows if that influenced their decision to sort him out 🤔

rascal
    Free Member

The ball is rolling.
    Just spoken to the manager at the shop I bought the bike from, and he’s happy to ‘take it on’ on my behalf by submitting photos to Madison despite it being 6 years since I bought the bike. He’s aware of others having the same issue and himself thinks it’s unreasonable for cranks to do this FWIW. It’s a start at least…

bobodaclown

Snap.
    Same here crank is back with the bikeshop for return to Madison for inspection.
    Fingers crossed for you @rascal

rascal
    Free Member

Bodo – ditto!

rascal
    Free Member

Cranks are being replaced 👏🏻😁…but not til ‘mid March’ 😫. Got the MMH sportive soon after and need to get some miles in before then!

bobodaclown

@rascal that’s great news they are replacing for you.
    Fingers crossed on mine. Frustrating they broke, but things do break sometimes. Never broken a Shimano crank previously.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Out of interest, what crank length and ring sizes @rascal ?

rascal
    Free Member

Mr P – 172.5 and 50/34 compact..

bobodaclown

@rascal no issue Shimano/Madison have replaced the broken crank regardless of age. The shop and Shimano/Madison have been great throughout which is brilliant to see, really impressed with them.
    The challenge was stock…
    Lol

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shimano replacement via Madison’ is closed to new replies.