Shimano road discs

Home Forum Bike Forum Shimano road discs

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Shimano road discs
  • They are already available, triathalon bikes, designed to go fast for loners

Actualy that brings up another point. MTB’ing is a solo activity, even in a group you ride far enough apart that you’re not influenced by the person in front braking.

Roadies travel in very close groups, I’m not sure I’d want the guy in front to have significantly more powerfull brakes than everyone else!

mrmo

Roadies travel in very close groups, I’m not sure I’d want the guy in front to have significantly more powerfull brakes than everyone else!

which i believe is the UCI standpoint at the moment. Think of track bikes, having no brakes is safe as long as no one has any brakes.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

fwiw I am a commuter and having just bought my first road(ish) bike at 38 and opted for a comfortable CX frame with 28mm tyres and discs I guess I qualify as a MAMIL too.

Nah that’s my whole point, you should be core target market for hydraulic road discs! but it looks like your not…

instead they’re after “MAMILs” who will be looking at Ultegra/DA to decorate their composite ego-wagons, rather than the Gent/lady wanting an efficient, sensibly priced, minimal maintenance, all weather, road commuting bike, using braking technologies proven to work over the last decade and a half on MTBs…

As a “flagship product” Shimano have managed to miss that key market by a country mile, overpriced and aimed squarely at early adopters of extra blingy road gear, who ain’t too bothered by discs unless they see them on Cav’s bike first…
    I have no doubt that a more practically priced and designed product will be along before too long, but this is not the best start…

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

which i believe is the UCI standpoint at the moment.

But one which makes no sense given they allow hydro rim brakes (wasn’t Cav running them?)

And an odd argument given how many people claim that discs offer no braking advantage.

I reckon the UCI will eventually allow disc brakes.
    Probably 5 years after they become standard on low-end road bikes ๐Ÿ˜‰

thisisnotaspoon – Member

On the flip side, I’d like the bloke behind me to be able to stop quick if he needed to

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Think of track bikes, having no brakes is safe as long as no one has any brakes.

Imagine how much fun the TdF would be if no one had brakes !! ๐Ÿ˜€

The thing with the peloton safety argument is that many folk also ride on their own on unclosed roads with other traffic, where being able to stop promptly when needed can be very useful!

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

They are already available, triathalon bikes

I don’t know a lot anything about tri bikes but got the impression they were ridiculously stiff and had brakes and gears in funny places, perfect for aero tuck on closed roads, not so much on the A6 through swinton ๐Ÿ™‚

but I guess maybe we are back to “it’s the rider not the bike”, in this case a good position will save you a lot more watts than an aero bike.

clubber

Think of track bikes, having no brakes is safe as long as no one has any brakes.

Have you ever been on the track? ๐Ÿ˜€

GrahamS – Member

I reckon the UCI will eventually allow disc brakes.
    Probably 5 years after they become standard on low-end road bikes

Given that Shimano & SRAM are going ahead with launching them, I think you can be reasonably sure that Pat McQuaid has been handed sufficiently large envelopes to ensure their approval

Never had a problem with this (has anyone?) despite training in numerous chaingangs with BB7’s.

Theres a much bigger braking differential between aluminum and carbon rims in the wet.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Er, tracks don’t have roundabouts, junctions, cars or rain either.. ๐Ÿ™„

And the argument about people having sharp brakes being dangerous is a bit daft – you don’t have to slam them on full every time…

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Shimano road discs’ is closed to new replies.