Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Shimano price rise (again)
  • Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve just been on the phone to my LBS, and they tell me that Shimano have put their prices up by 30% over the weekend. An XTR chainset is now over £400!!

Jimbo
    Free Member

Shimano have put their prices up, or the UK distributor (Madison)?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

This is where one then goes to CRC as they’re a bit cheaper, and can take the hit for a while and your LBS then closes as they’re not making any sales. Shame 🙁

uplink
    Free Member

Don’t buy it – simple as

If people don’t buy it they’ll have to reduce the price or withdraw it from sale

hora
    Free Member

Agree with Jimbo and uplink

Jimbo
    Free Member

So come the time you need a Shimano part (crankset f’instance…), you do what, exactly? Buy something that’s not to your requirements and just as expensive, thanks to the weak pound?

Better to keep an eye on the £/$/Yen and see if retail prices fall as (hopefully!) the £ strengthens, assuming commodity prices remain the same…

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

…in the long term. In the short term the retailer goes t*ts up.

uplink
    Free Member

What tends to happen is that people simply make stuff last longer which means reduced sales

hora
    Free Member

Jimbo if the pound strengthens I doubt we’ll see the distributor dropping RRP prices.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

See, this is the recession working on you. Bank of England lower interest rates to “help” the banks out, Pound falls in value, imports become more expensive, people stop buying them, shops go bust.
    Bloody brilliant idea. Not.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Dibbs, I’m assuming your LBS is an indy, and not part of a big chain?

UK-FLATLANDER

Try the Madison site – XT over £200 as well!!

http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/products/list.aspx?ref=14480&vertical=1

Speshpaul

Buy a middleburn;-)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I heard from a friend who manages a bike shop about these price rises. xtr crank is now £430, xt mech is £80 xt crank is £200!

sofatester
    Free Member

Best watch for those rocks and tree stumps then!

forge197
    Free Member

staggering prices!!

MikeC
    Free Member

They don’t display much MTB stuff on the site but it might be worth having a look at http://www.cyclingbargains.com for alternatives. I use them a lot for road stuff.

hora
    Free Member

Look at the positives. It opens the door to new competitors to the market.

You’ve got a willing audience receptive to new manufacturers/products etc.

Plus how many rocks etc do you people ping off? I still have my 2001 XTR on my only bike.

mrmo
    Free Member

I think the simple fact is currency.

1 Year ago 1 gbp was around 215 yen
    Today, 1gbp is around 120 Yen

Now find a way that anyone can absorb that?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Madisons pricing last year was based on the J Yen being 230 to the £.

This year its 130, hence the 40% price increase.

hora
    Free Member

Surely this is now a great time for Hope to diversify and step into a new market?

sofatester
    Free Member

Harah for Hope Hora!

Stoner
    Free Member

just popped into my LBS and in passing asked about component price rises. He wasnt aware of the very latest Shimano rises but said that SRAM/Truvativ/RS Prices had rocketed of late but was happy that his 09 stock of Giant bikes hadnt had much price increases esp the cheaper end (i.e. +£25 on a £300 HT) put on them compared to some of the other large manufacturers.

richc
    Free Member

Plus how many rocks etc do you people ping off? I still have my 2001 XTR on my only bike.

I think this depends on how much you ride, and where.

sofatester
    Free Member

Can’t afford new XTR? It’s a sad day for humanity 🙁

mrmo
    Free Member

Can’t afford new XTR? It’s a sad day for humanity [:(]

soon be can’t afford Deore the way things seem to be going

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

maybe its time to buy a rohloff

hora
    Free Member

richc – Member
    I think this depends on what new product marketing is out or how clumsy you are.

Totally agree.

Oggles
    Free Member

Wow, ridiculous price increases. I don’t know whether to sell my spare XT shadow for a quick buck, or keep it for what could be an expensive through the spokes moment. I’m glad I bought my new bike just before all these price rises.

orangeboy
    Free Member

rohloff has also gone up

Dibbs
    Free Member

The reason I rang my LBS in the first place was to order a 975 XTR outer chainring, I was afraid to ask the price 😥 it doesn’t really matter, I’ve got to have one as the old one’s skipping like a skippy thing.

sq225917
    Free Member

shit, glad i got my xtr cassette and shadow rear on thursday…

v10
    Free Member

Dibbs just checked the list on that chainring….

Best take them some biscuits 😉

Oggles
    Free Member

I suspect that once Merlin have shifted their current stock they may have to jack their prices in line with Shimano.

the_lecht_rocks

the increase in prices will really hurt the MTB market.
    lots of people buy as upgrade, not as necessity, and the market is therefore fuelled by want, not need.
    when prices are OTT and unjustified, people will naturally react by not spending money.
    this is bad news all round however as the manufacturwers will see profit loss, and be forced to up their margins, even if currencies recover and international trade stabilises.
    basically, were all screwed for the time being 🙁

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve just been in the LBS the new RRP for a 44 tooth M970 XTR chainring is £169.99!!!
    I’d be better off buying the chainset from Merlin and using it for spares.

hora
    Free Member

Hang on- chainring?

Jimbo
    Free Member

£170 for a big cog? That’s taking the p*ss! It probably cost them <£5 to make…

EDIT: Yup, the chainring:
    http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/products/details.aspx?ref=14219&pRef=79852&vertical=1&v=

Offroading
    Free Member

Bad news for buying new – anyone know what the RRP on the XTR cassette is now ?

Great news for anyone looking to sell Shimano parts though 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Shimano price rise (again)’ is closed to new replies.