Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano PD-M959 pedals – new cages?
  • corroded
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of pairs of M-959 SPDs that must be 20 years old now and have been brilliant. Still going strong but the cages are getting a bit worn so even with new cleats they creak a bit. I don’t suppose it’s possible to buy replacement cages for a 20yr-old design? I’m guessing not. I’m reluctant to buy new pedals – I bought a pair of XT spds a couple of years and they’re already in worse shape than the ancient but faultless 959s.

damascus
    Free Member

I had this with some xtr pedals. I picked up some broken ones on ebay for the cages. Luckily the rider unclipped left side and I unclip right so swopped them over.

Killer
    Free Member

I have some 970s with one axle + bearings knacked. not sure if you can hybrid them

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of scruffy but functional 959s which are seized absolutely solid into a road chainset (105 drive side crank, Sora non-drive side)
    Parts donor for your pedals and maybe some cheap cranks if the dismantled pedals dome out easier than whole ones.
    Yours for a tenner to cover postage

Mister-P
    Free Member

Checking exploded diagrams they look to be the same as used on M520 and M540 pedals. Part numbers 45D 9801 and 45D 9802. At £6.99 each that’s £27.96 for 4 or buy a set of M520 for £30 and get a set of cleats too.

kcal

My M959s are running still smoothly – haven’t checked the cages.
    They’re on my hardtail – can’t fault them.

corroded
    Free Member

Thanks very much everybody. Will check out the spare parts first. The M959s still spin silently like a perpetual motion machine without a single day of maintenance, they’re incredible.

lovewookie

They are the same cages on the m540 and 520, albeit those don’t have the slippery coating the xtrs had.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.