Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shimano MW7 boots
  • escrs
    Free Member

Why didn’t i buy a pair years ago!!!

Years of faffing around with overshoes trying to keep my feet warm and dry, having the bottoms get ripped apart when having to walk in them, trying to get them dry whilst at work, being a pain to get them on, then trying to do up the zip at the back to then walk a few meters and see the toe end pop off my shoes!!

Shimano MW7 boots, pop them on, adjust the BOA dial, cover the BOA lacing with the velcro flaps an off i go, dry warm feet!

Overshoes are the work of the devil and should be burned!!!!!!!!!

coatesy
    Free Member

Yep, discovered that about 20yrs ago. Next thing you’ll discover is that they still fill up with water that runs down your leg, and a pair of knee-Length waterproof socks are a good pairing.

escrs
    Free Member

Already got that covered, i ride in full length Madison waterproof trousers (can be zipped off into shorts too) also have a pair of sealskin socks as a back up

Happily road through some major puddles at good speed without getting wet at all, although i haven’t tried getting drenched by a passing truck going through a major puddle on the road next to the cycle path but no doubt it will happen at some point!

fossy

I’ve got the older ones, they are great. Mine must be around 4 years old ! I stick some dry suit wrist cuffs over the neoprene top when it’s really wet to stop water going in the top.

teamslug
    Free Member

Just be aware that if they do get water in they take ages to dry out. Looks like it might not be a problem but like others have said I use gaiters ( grip grab) to stop water.

steveadorjan
    Free Member

Could anyone compare the new, BOA-equipped Shimano MW7 winter shoes with the old Shimano MW81 in terms of sizing and fit? From what I’ve read, the MW7 runs larger and one should size down compared to the MW81. But I’ve also read a few comments here and there that the MW7 still runs small/narrow as most Shimano shoes.

For reference, I wear US 9 street shoes, US 9 or 9.5 (mostly 9.5) sneakers, Specialized EUR 43 and EUR 44 in the Shimano MW81. So I wonder if I should try my luck with the MW7 in EUR 43?

IdleJon

Just be aware that if they do get water in they take ages to dry out

When, not if, even while wearing trousers over the cuff. I’ve got a video of me pouring a full third of a pint of water from each boot into a pint glass after a 40 minute ride home. (That 1/3rd pint obviously didn’t the water soaked into my socks, feet or the lining of the boot.) Utterly useless things.

My older Shimano boots weren’t as bad at filling up, and neither are the NW Arctic boots that I currently use.

steveadorjan
    Free Member

Thanks, but I’m a hardcore fair weather rider, so I only go out if it doesn’t rain/snow and the trails/roads are relatively dry 🙂 But tell me, how did you find the sizing/fit compared to the older Shimanos?

scotroutes

Could anyone compare the new, BOA-equipped Shimano MW7 winter shoes with the old Shimano MW81 in terms of sizing and fit? From what I’ve read, the MW7 runs larger and one should size down compared to the MW81.

I’ve just discovered this. I bought some new MW7s at the start of the year and put them on for the first time on Friday. They are definitely larger – about half a size. I can adjust with socks/insoles though. FWIW they are larger on the outside too. My size 42-44 neoprene overshoes barely fit on my size 42 MW7s

IdleJon

But tell me, how did you find the sizing/fit compared to the older Shimanos?

I’m size 9 in normal shoes, but I usually wear size 45 in MTB shoes/boots these days, and they fit properly. I think, for some reason, my older ones were 44s, and they were a bit tight.

Thanks, but I’m a hardcore fair weather rider, so I only go out if it doesn’t rain/snow

They’ll be a good boot for you then, despite what I said. 😀

oikeith

What are people doing on real cold days to stop the SPD acting like a heatsink and getting cold feet? I tried some metal insulation tape last year but didnt do much to stop/slow it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shimano MW7 boots’ is closed to new replies.