• This topic has 23 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Del.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Shimano MT90 –> MT91
  • kiwijohn

After 8 winters, my old boots are nearing retirement.
    Before I pony up for a new pair, is the sizing still the same or should I go up one?
    Cheers, KJ.

z1ppy

Same sizing for me, only a couple of rides, & seem fine. Seem a slightly smaller boot, more less bulk than sizing, but as I say, so far so good. Hope they last as long as the mt-90’s

damascus
    Free Member

Same size for me in both. I think the mt91 is a better boot but the mt90 felt more comfortable.

stooo
    Free Member

The giro alpineduro look interesting too

P20

Are you just using them for winter, or do you use them all at round? I’ve been tempted by these many, many times…

z1ppy

I use mine all year round, though change to mw81’s when it get properly wet

kiwijohn

Cheers all.
    The MT90s are my 3 season riding boots as well as for tours where you want something that you can wear to the pub.
    The Giros could be an option as well, though they cost a bit more & the sole doesn’t look as grippy. anyone here used them?

P20

Zippy, thanks for that. I’ve got the MW81s for winter too, but fancy the MT91 for general use and touring

Del

the 91s aren’t as stiff in the sole. it’s marginal but you may as well be aware of it.
    there’s a real dearth of 3-season mtb boots IMO since spesh pulled out of the sector.

kcal

I think mine are MT-91s. I’ll be upset when they die (which may be a couple of years yet). Cleats are seized in, cuff is frayed, but they are still the boot I wear on any kind of 3 season day out. Shame that – without report to marigolds – it’s hard to keep water and vegetation out though.

kiwijohn

I use Inov-8 trail running gaiters o keep stones out. Not waterproof but.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Long term fan of MT90s. On my second pair over god knows how many years and got a third pair in the bottom of the wardrobe ready to be brought into service. (And I use Berghaus Glacier ankle gaiters in really filthy weather – perfect)

Tried the Giro Aplinenduros, found them too narrow, which is something in comparison with Shimano fitting.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I find the MT91s to be the best SPD boot I have used EVER! And I’ve destroyed many pairs of lesser boots over the years (AXO, Scott, Shimano, Nike, Adidas, Northwave, Answer etc).

I’m normally a size 44 but I needed a 45 in the MT91 FYI. I have a high instep and wide foot.

I’ve been using my current pair for the last 3 years (approx. 3000 miles of offroad in Scotland) and recently inspected them close up (as the original laces had just let go!). Apart from a bit of cracking around the rand, they look solid. I may buy a pair and mothball them to avoid the future pain of discovering that Shimano have discontinued them… OR: I may get them resoled in Stealth rubber!

D0NK

there’s a real dearth of 3-season mtb boots

MT71?

z1ppy

I believe he asked for a boot not a trainer 😉

D0NK

true…
    but I’d argue that any boot is gonna be a bit sweaty for summer use. Doable of course, I spent quite a few years running shimano mw80 (and their predecessors) all year round. A goretex shoe is more comfy while only sacrificing a bit of over the top water ingress protection.

trainer indeed!

kiwijohn

It’s the cooler 3 seasons I was aiming for, though I’d still wear MT90’s in summer, no problem.
    Ordered a size up since Shimano disco slippers seem to be getting smaller, or my feet are getting bigger.
    Just my luck if they finally announce an MT92 & the 91’s suddenly drop in price.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

91’s suddenly drop in price

There’s an ebay shop selling them for £103

kiwijohn

Saw a couple a little cheaper than crc, but I needed other stuff as well.

z1ppy

They were cheaper in December! So I stocked up on a new pair.. sorry no help, but made me a happy chappy.

Deveron53
    Free Member

The only thing that would improve the MT91 is a better ‘laces management system’ (i.e. an effective cover or strap). And NOT a bloody BOA system either!

Some people (like me) prefer a boot design rather than a shoe. I find that shoes cut into the back of my heel. Also, my ankles feel more protected against flying rocks.

kiwijohn

z1ppy – Member
    They were cheaper in December! So I stocked up on a new pair.. sorry no help, but made me a happy chappy.

I’ve put it off for a couple of years, but after the abrupt start to winter this year, I had to do it. Should’ve got them in your winter.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

a better ‘laces management system’

I agree, the red strap also wears out pretty quickly with muddy laces, not that it’s needed though.

I can’t help with MT90/91 size comparison but the MT91’s are a full 2 sizes smaller than they claim to be ime. I’m normally a 42 but have to buy 44s.

Del

i just prefer a boot if for some reason I’m off the bike, and for the ankle protection. takes some of the fear out of squeezing the bike through gaps in rocks, as there isn’t much meat on ankles ( not my svelte ones anyway 😉 ) and i once saw a mate trap his ankle between a rock and a chainstay in a fall, bending the stay by ~ 1″ inwards. he was still hurt but i can only imagine it would have been broken bones if he hadn’t been wearing boots.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Shimano MT90 –> MT91’ is closed to new replies.