Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shimano mineral oil in Tektro HyRds?
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

I know the paperwork says Tektro only or death, but I can’t be the only person with a large bottle of the red stuff who’s pondered this.

Anyone tried it, or know why it really would result in A&E?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’ll be fine. 🙂

cp

Mine are full of Shimano mineral oil. Works a treat.

My tip for bleeding Hy:Rd’s… use the epic bleed solutions kit with two syringes. Remove the caliper from the bike and hold the caliper in different orientations whilst bleeding… And rotate it round in you hand whilst bleeding. Loads more air comes out than a static bleed.

They’re impressively powerful brakes!

daern
    Free Member

There’s only mineral oil or DOT brake fluid used on bikes. If the brakes don’t use DOT, you can slap in the Shimano (mineral) stuff and it will work fine.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Cheers for the info 🙂

daern
    Free Member

You really don’t want to switch DOT for mineral or vice-versa as your seals will suffer if you do. e.g. Hope are always DOT4/5.1

For DOT fluid it’s important to get the right grade (normally DOT4 or DOT5.1), but don’t bother buying the bike-specific stuff. Just get it from your local motor factors.

Mineral oil has more choice, but I’m in the “chuck Shimano in everything” camp as I have a large bucket of it in the garage.

cp

Where’s all this DOT chat come from?? Hy:Rd’s are mineral…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Mine have it in them and one of them still works!

Its a sticky rear piston but i doubt the fluid is the cause as it was shit before I bled it

daern
    Free Member

Where’s all this DOT chat come from?? Hy:Rd’s are mineral…

Was being more general with answering the question. You’d be surprised how many people put “brake fluid” into brakes without realising that they’re not all the same…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shimano mineral oil in Tektro HyRds?’ is closed to new replies.