Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Shimano micro spline
  • endomick
    Free Member

I hear the micro spline still hasn’t cured the alloy freehub scarring issue, has anyone had any experience of the durability yet, might be too early for this question but I hope that HOPE are getting a steel version ready for when they finally get permission to use it.

hatter

DT are making a steel microspline freehub, they call it ‘Hybrid’ as it’s intended for E-bikes but it’ll fit any DT ratchet hub (350, 240 etc).

lustyd
    Free Member

scotroutes

Hope don’t even make boost hubs

Err…..

https://www.hopetech.com/products/hubs/

lustyd
    Free Member

yeah that’ll learn me to look before I post! They always used to be just convertible ones. Then I found out there’s no delete function on the forum 😀

dhrider
    Free Member

They always used to be just convertible ones.

No they didn’t, they’ve always made boost hubs. They just happened to offer adapters for people with 142mm hubs along side their boost hubs so people could upgrade without buying a whole hub.

endomick
    Free Member

Why has this topic been hijacked, its supposed to be about shimano micro spline freehub longevity.
    BTW Lustyd, its teach me not learn me, I’d edit that post as well.

lustyd
    Free Member

There’s more to language than being correct, sometimes you can convey more by using a “wrong” word. That post says exactly what I wanted it to say, and “that’ll learn me” is in quite common usage, but thanks for the feedback.

joemmo
    Free Member

endomick: learn or larn is commonly used for ‘learn’ and ‘teach’ in the north east, it’s dialect and is either Norse or German in origin IIRC. Also, you missed an apostrophe from ‘its’. HTH

hedfree
    Free Member

I haven’t come across this problem, but i will keep a eye on it as i just setup my Shimano XT 12 speed today! thanks for the heads up!

endomick
    Free Member

Well that’ll learn me to mess with Lustyd and Joemmo, but you’re still hijacking this post and I’m still right, apart from the blatant pisstake, sorry, mistake.
    Thanks to Hatter and Hedfree for worthwhile contributions.

joemmo
    Free Member

It wouldn’t be STW without tangents and grammatical pedantry.

On topic, weren’t there rumours of third party attempts to make a patent circumventing but conveniently compatible standard that would take microspline cassettes?

marksnook
    Free Member

The freehub scarring issue does annoy me about about the shimano freehub. Filing burrs down is tedious!
    I hope there is a wider available alternative. I like the smaller jump between top two rings on the shimano 12 speed. It’s coming round to time to replace my cassette and chain so would be a convenient time to get an extra gear!
    FWIW that’ll learn me gets used a lot in the West Country too!

hedfree
    Free Member

Yup! The closer ratios and the fact it’s Shimano is what drew me towards the XT groupset! Can’t wait to give it a ride!

lustyd
    Free Member

@Marksnook I’ve never seen scarring on Shimano – they are the only company not making the freehub out of cheese as far as I knew. All mine are Ti since 1995 and I’ve never even seen a scratch. I must admit that the move to Alloy for the 12 speed has me a little worried but Shimano engineers generally know what they are up to so I wouldn’t let it put me off. Certainly I’d rather have an XTR hub (with Scylence one day!) than a nasty clicky third party one full of angry bees 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve not noticed an issue with my DT micro-spline freehub.
    Had no issues with standard DT Shimano one either so not really expecting any.

hatter

I used to munch alloy freehubs, then I got lectured about the importance of doing the lockring up to 40nm and keeping it tight.

Bought a big torque wrench, did as I was told and my cassettes no longer munch my hubs.

Simples!

joemmo
    Free Member

@lustyd – DT Swiss with a 36 or 52T ratchet is a great sound, not at all like a Hope or i9. Mind you I also have Hopes and the noise is quite a good pedestrian alert for the commute.
    It’s a shame Shimano couldn’t just adopt XD but I guess that was never really likely

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Shimano micro spline’ is closed to new replies.