Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • shimano mech confusion
  • daveylad
    Free Member

Hi I want to replace my sram gx 11speed shifter & mech with some shimano xt kit. I now realise why I havent used shimano for so long, massive confusion trying to work out what I need compared to sram.

Cassette is a sram 11-42. I cant determine if I need a long or med cage mech. It seems both go upto 46t so either would do?
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deorext-m8000.html

As for the shifter, ispec a, ipsec b, ispec2?? I just want a shifter I can bolt independently onto my bars without one of them silly gear indicator windows.

Any clues?

scaredypants

I don’t think you want i-spec anything, they bolt onto brake levers
    You want a band-on one (not sure what shimano call them)

Are you on a 1x drivetrain ?
    If so, then you “probably” only really need med cage for a 31 tooth difference (i.e. 42-11) but the spec should tell you that (“capacity”)

simondbarnes

GS Cage
    SL-M8000-R
    Remove indicator and fit Y03K98080

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    daveylad
    Free Member

Ok nice one. So a GS cage appears to be medium & you need an extra bit to remove the silly indicator! Seems sram gx 11 & xt 11 comes out at the same price. I currently have sram 12 speed im wanting to change so will have a think about sticking with sram gx 11 or going xt 11.
    Cheers for the info.

daveylad
    Free Member

Went Shimano xt from bike24. Arrived today and even had the blanking plate in the box! Result, I was going to use tape.
    Feels like a quality item, I had forgotten how nice Shimano shifting feels.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘shimano mech confusion’ is closed to new replies.