Shimano M596 Brakes Vs BB7?

Home Forum Bike Forum Shimano M596 Brakes Vs BB7?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shimano M596 Brakes Vs BB7?
  • walleater

I currently have BB7s on my all terrain bicycle. Put them on partly for a laugh but have been very surprised by how good they are. I am buying a bike with M596 brakes and am wondering which brakes to keep. Plenty of good reviews for the Shimano brakes, but anyone have any decent riding time with both who can comment on which are ultimately the more powerful? Anyone know which weigh the most?! I’ll take power over weight but if the Shimano brakes are a ton lighter and almost as powerful then I’d potentially give them a try. The brakes need to be able to handle long steep descents without dying though.

danielgroves

They’re the basic Deores, right?

I’d put my money on the BB7 being light, no hydraulics which are heavy; but, I’d put my money on the Shimano’s having more power. You can always up the power a bit through fitting bigger rotors though if you really want to keep the BB7s.

Ramsey Neil

They are the current Deores which are shit hot brakes . The Avids will be heavier and you will need to make minor adjustments to them more often . I am a big fan of BB7 but most people would go for the Deores which are about as near fit and forget as any brake out there and plenty of power too.

porlus

Had juicy 3’s. Hated them. So got some bb7’s. Much happier but still not totally into them. Bit the bullet and got some m596’s. Really really pleased. Loads better than both avids. Got zero urge to tinker or change now.

_tom_

BB7s for me but then I am simple and don’t like setting up or maintaining hydraulics. BB7s have more than enough power, if you can’t get them to lock up with one finger then you have them set up wrong – I used to be able to do endo’s with mine when I was 18 stone no problem. I like the simplicity and ease of maintenance.

walleater

Tank you peeps. Yep, I’m a workshop manager so I know how to set up BB7s, and I find them more powerful than my Elixir CRs on my DH bike. No issues there. Sounds like I won’t be disappointed with the new school Deores so I’ll give them a try. Re. BB7s being light, if you think about it, much of a hydro brake / hose / lever is hollow whereas mech brakes are full of ‘stuff’ so they do end up surprisingly heavy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shimano M596 Brakes Vs BB7?’ is closed to new replies.